Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Gloucester Cathedral 2

Real Name
    Peter

Gloucester Cathedral 2

Another view from Gloucester Cathedral, this time of th choir stalls and organ

Gloucester Cathedral 2

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Gloucester Cathedral 2

I think you have potential subject matter for at least 5 images there Peter! As it stands the very wide angle not only introduces a lot of distortions (but again try DxO on it, 14 day free trials), but also loses the soaring height with so little apparent support, which is one of the primary characteristics of the location. If you could leave the Exif intact or give vital stats it would help critique on this and, I hope, more posts to come.

BTW critique may sometimes seem harsh, but it is how one learns and you always have the option to ignore it if it misses the point of why you did it your way. I wouldn't bother to comment on no hopers.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Peter

I find myself yearning to drag the top edge upwards to see the missing part of the vaulted ceiling at the back, behind the organ. The light on that is wonderful.

Real Name
    Peter

Chris,

Thanks for your comments on this and the previous post from Gloucester. Both these shots were taken during an all too brief visit to the Cathedral using a Sigma 14mm F2.8 lens that I have just purchased so I was really experimenting with the wide view it delivers.

Possibly a different lens would have given a better shot but this was the only one with me at the time, except for my Lensbaby.

Thanks again for your critique,
    Peter

Where was your focus point? The foreground looks a little soft. Since that's what one notices first (how one "enters the frame"), using hyperfocal principles and focusing on one of the foreground lamps (not the closest one, but the 2nd or 3rd in) would have given a little more sharpness in the foreground. The softness could also be due to a slow exposure, but I can't quite make that judgment.

Real Name
    Peter

Hi eNo,

Bit of a compromise here as the light was quite low so ISO 800 and F3.5 at 1/5 sec to get something that was reasonably well exposed. No tripod available unfortunately. Focus was quite a way into the shot and also as I nave mentioned before this len does suffer from edge softness.

Peter

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Peter,

Given that the 50% frame height point on the far wall looks to be about the same as lens height, I'd expect the panelling to be parallel to the edges of frame. I'm wondering if it hasn't been slightly over-corrected giving the divergent verticals (looking up).

With less correction, you may get back some of the missing height too.

I think softness may be due to camera shake or DoF/lens, to my eyes, the sharpest thing looks like the first lamp on the front row, either side of that is worse - I think, but I might be being fooled by sharpening.

Looks like an interesting place to shoot though, well done,