Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Young man

Real Name
    António Correia

Young man

Gwalior, India

Young man

Re: Young man

Great capture, Antonio. . . but, a bit over-sharpened. Makes the boy look alien, IMHO. I would like the eyes intense, but not creepy.

Real Name
    António Correia

I will review that point later in the day.
    Thank you for your opinion.

Real Name
    António Correia

I have no time now but I have a story on this young guy. Later.
    But here is my final and decisive version.

Young man

Real Name
    Mark

thats much better, nice image

mark

Real Name
    António Correia

Thank you Mark Much better indeed.
    -
    The story behind the image
    We were visiting Man Mandir Palace in Gwalior, India when a young boy came to us speaking English and asking us if we wanted a guide for the tour inside.
    As we were at that moment with a Polish and a Spanish and speaking in English we were surprised to listen to the young boy addressing some words to us.
    I asked if he could also speak Portuguese when he told me he could speak English, French, Spanish, Italian and even a bit of German, all learned on the street. Amazing. In fact I adressed him in French and it was true, and the same happened when my wife spoke to him in German.
    He said he was some 8 years old - we think he should be about 10 - and he had never been in school as he couldn’t even read.
    We are not sure if all the story is true or not but during the tour and as other young and older boys came along following us, he sent them away in a very strong manner.
    To us it was astonishing how a young boy at that age could be so bold and clever and talk languages like that.
    When a school passed with some 40 children see how the teacher was looking at him.

Later we read in the Times of India about the "India's invisible children: Swallowed by the streets".

Incredible India.

Young man

Real Name
    Richard

Wonderful story Antonio... I love how you capture people.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Wonderful story Antonio... I love how you capture people.
    Thank you Richard
    Many of my photos go to garbage. Why ? Because I take them at wait level without seing what I am doing.
    Some are blurred because I forget to set the correct speed or focus correctly etc.
    Some are nice however. It was a surprise to myself to see this one when I arrived home.
    With the arrival of the new CS6 probably I will save many pictures. So, I am not erasing them ... so far.

The way she looks to the boy and the reading of the unsuspected article, adjust the idea one makes about the hole situation.

You also have seen this in China.

I was forgetting to say:
    When this teacher stopped in front of me - all children had gone down the stairs - I told her that the boy could speak English etc. and he was not in school. She said "Oh yes..." or something similar and went away.

Comment of the boy: "They are rich. They go to school"

Incredible India

Great shot Antonio! Interested in camera and lens used and ISO, Speed and Aperture. Thanks

Another not so incredible Indian!

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    I have no time now but I have a story on this young guy. Later.
    But here is my final and decisive version.
    Very nice!

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by raghunath View Post
    Great shot Antonio! Interested in camera and lens used and ISO, Speed and Aperture. ThanksAnother not so incredible Indian!

However, what makes India so incredible is in fact, his own contradictions. After all, India (China) is growing as a World Power but their population has a large percentage of poor. And it must remain poor for the sake of competitiveness. Oh politics !

16-35 on a Canon 5D old model, ISO 200 - 1/250 - f/4.0 @ 16mm, waist level, random picture as I couldn't see what I was capturing.

You may now say: you have been lucky.

I say: Yes I have been lucky. But if I had not tried would I have been lucky ? Would I ever be able to capture this feeling ?

This way I take many many pictures which are pure rubbish. However, with a bit of luck...

Something else: The focus point is supposed to be - better: should be - automatic and not to the center - as I usualy have - in order the camera can guess the best contrast and select the supposed to be right focusing point.

Then we pray so God gives us the best contrast where we want the focus. God doesn't help you but from time to time.
    -
    @ Brian
    It is interesting isn't it ?
    This time we were travelling on our own which allowed the direct contact with the local people.

The toning down of the whites of the eyes make a big difference. Great capture!

He looks older than eight, António.

In India, like many places in the world people must pay for education. The poor cannot pay and thus get their “education” on the streets. This boy is obviously very bright and very street wise.

It is not unusual for a child to pick up languages, in particular if he works as a tour guide. Childhood is the best time to learn languages.

By sending the other children away in a stern manner he was simply protecting his territory and livelihood.

The adults are looking disdainfully at the poor boy because India still has a caste system, despite that fact that it is supposed to be outlawed. The poor are discriminated against by people who believe that they are superior because they have some money. Teachers are notorious for their stern and even cruel treatment of children.

Brazil has a similar issue with millions of street children as do many nations in Africa. The West has its own problems with runaway, throwaway children on the streets and sexual slavery. There are more slaves today than at any time in the history of humanity.

I doubt that these children will always remain so terribly poor, for the sake of competitiveness. The tide tends to lift all boats. Even China is raising the minimum salaries of its workers.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Antonio,

It looks great to me -- the only thing I'm wondering is if there is a little too much space to the camera-left of the young man's head - just wondering if a crop that cuts some of that away would improve the balance at all (I haven't tried this, just a thought).

Real Name
    António Correia

@Viana
    Thank you for dropping those wise lines Viana

@ Colin
    Huuummm... I see what you mean...
    Thanks

Real Name
    John

Thanks for these pictures. I've seen this same "education/non-education" phenomenon in South America in Paraguay, Peru, and in Africa in the Congo and some truly bright kids with little chance to use their "gifts". It is heart-breaking!

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by jonjdoe View Post
    Thanks for these pictures. I've seen this same "education/non-education" phenomenon in South America in Paraguay, Peru, and in Africa in the Congo and some truly bright kids with little chance to use their "gifts". It is heart-breaking!
    The World is full of miseries and un-justices !

The World is full of miseries and un-justices !
    Many, if not most of them, man made.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Viana View Post
    Many, if not most of them, man made.
    I couldn't agree more

The Human Being is a misery in himself and astonishingly brave and clever at the same time.

Human Beings should be humanized

Gods have always looked to the other side pretending not to see.

Thank you Richard
    Many of my photos go to garbage. Why ? Because I take them at wait level without seing what I am doing.
    Some are blurred because I forget to set the correct speed or focus correctly etc.
    Some are nice however. It was a surprise to myself to see this one when I arrived home.
    With the arrival of the new CS6 probably I will save many pictures. So, I am not erasing them ... so far.

Antonio, I would advise you to buy LYTRO Camera, which is now available $396... You need not focus the subject prior to taking photograph.

After capturing Photographs, you just select the portion you want to be in focus, click there and you will have your subject perfectly sharped in focus

Photoshop CS 6 will not come before May/June 2012

I couldn't agree more Young man

The Human Being is a misery in himself and astonishingly brave and clever at the same time.

Human Beings should be humanized Young manYoung man

Gods have always looked to the other side Young manYoung man pretending not to see.

Rather like humans.

I think the “human” part is the problem. If we were more like our animal natures we might be more civilized and humane.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast