Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Seattle - Urban VS Country side

Seattle - Urban VS Country side

Hi ,
    Two of my Seattle trip photos , more coming soon ...
    Country Side
    City
    Nikon D200, 18-200 VR

Will be back after 1 week ..(As I am going for an official trip again)

~Ajith

Time for some update ...some more Seattle Night Skyline
    Pic 1
    Pic2
    Pic3
    pic4
    Ajith
    Last edited by ajith.rajeswari; 5th May 2009 at 07:28 AM.

Re: Seattle - Urban VS Country side

Fantastic shots Ajith! The skyline photo looks stunning. The countryside barn looks great too as the mix of different colours really do it for me...

These are two great photos, I really like them. The red house in the countryside picture
    is the eye-catch!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Ajith,

Yup, two good 'uns there for sure.

I do prefer the house in the country, nice bold colours and even the clouds contribute to the composition. If I have one minor suggestion on this, keeping the current aspect ratio, would be to effectively "pan up" just a few percent - no more than 5 though.

This is SO minor, I almost didn't mention it, given how good everything else is about the shot.

Well done,

Real Name
    David

Lovely shots Ajith. The Country Side Barn has a smart composition with Rule of Thirds, Golden Mean etc. Did you set this up or are you just a natural? I was speaking to a Scottish artist, a piece of whose work I own. This artist manages to produce compositions which invariably have the Golden Mean at their heart. I asked him if he deliberately set about setting up his compositions in this way and he replied, "No, but when a work is done I notice that it usually conforms with such principles and with classical perspective. I think it is just something in-built." In other words, he just sees the world that way.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Good shooting! I like them both but prefer the country scene because it's close to my roots.

Chuck

That second shot is a cracker. I can see this hanging in some exec office overlooking the Seattle skyline...Doctors Crane maybe. No seriously a once in a dozen trips shot

Great shots Ajith, I do like the balance of the night time shot, I guess you used the stripes in the cut grass to lead the eye to the barnhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by dan88 View Post
    Fantastic shots Ajith! The skyline photo looks stunning. The countryside barn looks great too as the mix of different colours really do it for me...
    Thanks Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Yan Zhang View Post
    These are two great photos, I really like them. The red house in the countryside picture
    is the eye-catch!
    Thanks Yan, more on the way..

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I do prefer the house in the country, nice bold colours and even the clouds contribute to the composition. If I have one minor suggestion on this, keeping the current aspect ratio, would be to effectively "pan up" just a few percent - no more than 5 though.
    Thanks for the comment Dave, I too think panning up a bit improves the shot , Do you mean to say about aligning the bottom of the pic with the starting point of the grass's vertical pattern?

~Ajith

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Lovely shots Ajith. The Country Side Barn has a smart composition with Rule of Thirds, Golden Mean etc. Did you set this up or are you just a natural? I was speaking to a Scottish artist, a piece of whose work I own. This artist manages to produce compositions which invariably have the Golden Mean at their heart. I asked him if he deliberately set about setting up his compositions in this way and he replied, "No, but when a work is done I notice that it usually conforms with such principles and with classical perspective. I think it is just something in-built." In other words, he just sees the world that way.

Cheers

David
    Hi Dave,
    There is a small story behind this pic
    I went to Seattle to see the 2009 Festival (Skagit Valley Tulip Festival), around noon I was searching for a restaurant and lost my way, I drove across this place and the view I got from the car was awesome , I immediately parked my car and took a couple of shots from different angle and this was the best angle I liked ..end of story .
    Hope I answered your question .

~Ajith

Quote Originally Posted by CNelson View Post
    Good shooting! I like them both but prefer the country scene because it's close to my roots.

Chuck
    Thanks Chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    That second shot is a cracker. I can see this hanging in some exec office overlooking the Seattle skyline...Doctors Crane maybe. No seriously a once in a dozen trips shot
    Thanks Wirefox. The execs may never know the effort behind this (standing in a chilly cold windy night with no proper jacket/ gloves ..my bad)

~Ajith

Quote Originally Posted by crusty View Post
    Great shots Ajith, I do like the balance of the night time shot, I guess you used the stripes in the cut grass to lead the eye to the barnhouse.
    Thanks crusty , I think Dave also suggested something similar to this.(Wise men think alike )

~Ajith

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by ajith.rajeswari View Post
    Do you mean to say about aligning the bottom of the pic with the starting point of the grass's vertical pattern?
    Hi Ajith,

I'm not sure I'd go quite that far, the horizon is so nearly perfectly 'on a third' now that going that far might be too far and leave too much sky above the treetop.

It's a very minor suggestion, everytime I look at this shot even as it is, I'm envious I didn't shoot it

A lucky wrong turn indeed.

Well done,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Ajith,

I'm not sure I'd go quite that far, the horizon is so nearly perfectly 'on a third' now that going that far might be too far and leave too much sky above the treetop.

It's a very minor suggestion, everytime I look at this shot even as it is, I'm envious I didn't shoot it

A lucky wrong turn indeed.

Well done,
    Thanks for the details Dave.

Got to say as much as I like the countryside pic the city wins for me (unsure of why I like more but suspect the subject more than anything else). Pic 1 and 2 I cannot decide between. I kind of like 2 more thinking about it except the position of the space needle which looks better in 1 (pretty much dead on the 66% vert line) so I chose both (can I do that?). I think a horizontal pano aspect scene of pic 2 would be perfect for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    Got to say as much as I like the countryside pic the city wins for me (unsure of why I like more but suspect the subject more than anything else). Pic 1 and 2 I cannot decide between. I kind of like 2 more thinking about it except the position of the space needle which looks better in 1 (pretty much dead on the 66% vert line) so I chose both (can I do that?). I think a horizontal pano aspect scene of pic 2 would be perfect for me.
    Thanks Davey, you can choose both

~Ajith