Thread: Unusual Sunset

Real Name
    Sara

Unusual Sunset

This shot was taking in Alexandria - Egypt.
    Your comments and critiques will be almost appreciated

Camera: Canon 550D
    Lens: Canon 18-55mm
    Shutter Speed: 1/128
    F. Number : 5.6
    ISO: 100
    Focal Length: 24mm
    Date: 11.06.2011
    Time: 06:55:53

img_0070e.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Donald; 13th November 2011 at 11:49 AM.

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Unusual Sunset

Super sunset and well captured. Well done.

Why is it unusual?

Real Name
    Sara

Thx a lot for ur comment
    In real, i found it unsual for me as here in Egypt you can not find these colors all the time ... and by the way, it was my first time to capture the sunset

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Hello and welcome to CiC.

As you can see, I have moved your image into your post, so that it appears at a much larger size than in the thumbnail. May I suggest that you read the 'How do I post images ..' thread available from the HELP/Rules tab on the Menu bar above. This will guide you in how to post your images. If you still have questions after reading that, then please do ask.

And, so that you don't continue to get people asking you what your proper name is, because most us use that on here, you can, if you wish, go to Edit Profile and enter your proper name under 'Real Name'. Then it will appear underneath your Username in all your posts. You can also enter your location so that it does the same, just as in my details alongside this message. Then we all know where everyone is in the world.

On the image itself, it does need to be rotated clockwise very slightly, to get the horizon onto a straight line. It is sloping down on the left-hand side.

Real Name
    Sara

Thank you so much ... Mr. Donald
    I really appreciate your kind help

and of course you are right about the photo horizon ... Thank you so much

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Sara, I feel you have the makings of a super image with fantastic depth! I would suggest a bit of cropping to remove all but the rocks on the extreme left and remove just enough of the rocks on the bottom to eliminate the watermark, then see if you like the image any better.

Real Name
    Sara

I am convinced Thx a lot Frank for your help and i have a question ... what about the quality of colors and resolution ... i found it not pro enough .... would u help regarding this issue - Thx again -

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Egyptian Face View Post
    I am convinced Thx a lot Frank for your help and i have a question ... what about the quality of colors and resolution ... i found it not pro enough .... would u help regarding this issue - Thx again -
    Hi Sara, I wasn't able to read any EXIF from your image so I can't tell whether the settings used were appropriate for the conditions. The histogram doesn't show any serious exposure issues given the fact that you are shooting an very high contrast scene and directly into the sun.

For this image, combining multiple exposures taken on a tripod would help but I sense that you are more concerned about the colors not matching what you saw when you took the image. How does the image differ form what you saw and were expecting?

Real Name
    Sara

Hello Frank
    what is the EXIF?
    Okay, the original photo was not that good ... i mean it needs to be photoshoped a lot so i got these vivid colors ... i faced this problem in many photos and i feel that it transfers a photography to a painting when using photoshop features ... i am using the manual mode so what i am supposed to learn to improve this issue

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Egyptian Face View Post
    what is the EXIF?
    Hi Sara, the EXIF information is usually embedded in the photograph by the camera and records the settings you used when you took the picture. It usually includes things like the camera make and model, focal length of the lens in use, aperture, shutter speed, ISO settings, etc.

My apologies, I just realized that you posted the EXIF data at the start of this thread.

Your camera settings look to be appropriate for scene you are shooting, however you can increase the ISO to around 800 with most cameras when shooting high contrast scenes like this and shooting in RAW mode also helps.

Whenever you shoot directly into the sun it is difficult to capture all of the colors present with a single exposure and post processing is almost always required to bring out the details and colors in the highlights and shadows.

It looks to me like you have done a very good job in post processing! If you would like me to try a hand at post processing for you, please provide the original image and I'll see what I can do, but I feel you have done very well with this image.

Real Name
    Sara

Thank you so much frank ... really ... u give me a push ... i really appreciate your help and your support. I will post new pics soon so i wish to know ur comments thx again

Real Name
    datin nazhiifah

hello, can i post my sunset here? hehe.. its my hiding sunset, edited with lomo effect..
    Unusual Sunset

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by minagashi View Post
    hello, can i post my sunset here? hehe.. its my hiding sunset, edited with lomo effect..
    Datin - Normally when we have a new image to post such as this we would start a new thread and not insert it into a thread started by someone else for the purpose of discussing their own image. However, I am sure that, in this case Sara will not mind.

The problem with your image is that your post-processing work has caused severe banding in the sky. Are you working with a profiled and calibrated monitor? If you look on the light cloud area and on the transition, going upwards to the darker area you will see lines, like waves on a sea-shore. It suggests that you have been too extreme in your application of post-processing techniques.