Thread: Geo tagging, which hardware?

Real Name
    Jan Diepeveen

Geo tagging, which hardware?

Hello all,

No quite sure if this is the right section of the forum for this question, but please redirect me if wrong.

For my next holiday travel, I would like to "Geo tagging" my photo's.
    Anyone any experience which GPS devices like PhotoTrackr ,I Got U or Qstarz?
    My special interest is the sensitivety of the device, does it receives its data when it's just attached to the camera bag or camera strap or does it need a clear view to the sky?

I found already 2 software programs to merge the images with the gps data, Microsoft Pro Photo tools2 and GeoSetter.

Thanks, Jan

Real Name
    Steaphany

Re: Geo tagging, which hardware?

I'm partial to and was planning on getting Jobo's PhotoGPS, here is the PhotoGPS on Jobo's web site.

All GPS receivers need a radio clear view of the sky. Since the PhotoGPS receiver mounts to the hot shoe, it's kept clear of potential obstructions, as long as you're not shooting under a metal roof.

Another positive of the PhotoGPS is that it's a package with both hardware and software, which means fewer, hopefully, problems syncing the GPS data with the photos.
    Last edited by Steaphany; 29th April 2009 at 11:17 PM. Reason: typo

Real Name
    Daniel

how ccompatible would you like to have it with your camera?, what OS do you have?

Real Name
    Jan Diepeveen

Hi Steaphany,
    Indead the Jobo's PhotoGPS looks very nice!. The only thing is that it's twice the price as a PhotoTrackr! here in The Netherlands. And you cannont use the camara flash unit for what that's worth.

Regards,Jan

Real Name
    Jan Diepeveen

Hi Daniel,
    I do not mind to do some pc processing to merge GPS data and images. I'm using a Canon 1000D and did not found GPS unit which directly interfaces with the camera as they are available for Nikon.
    I'm using Xp home and Ubuntu 9

Thanks,
    Jan

Real Name
    Steaphany

Jan,

I agree with you about the price being comparatively high.

I have read through the manual and the PhotoGPS has a button to manually trigger it to save a Hint. When needing to shoot indoors or using a flash, save a hint before and after. Later in processing, the hints allow you to tag the photos shot without the PhotoGPS.

Real Name
    Daniel

Hi Jan, why don't you try the Sony GPS-CS1KA, it's not expensive and its software works on a PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jandiep View Post
    Hi Steaphany,
    Indead the Jobo's PhotoGPS looks very nice!. The only thing is that it's twice the price as a PhotoTrackr! here in The Netherlands. And you cannont use the camara flash unit for what that's worth.

Regards,Jan
    I found that the Jobo works well, even under trees, but it ain't so cheap. The software will automatically tag images with keywords, which in Lightroom don't have commas or > in them, so the whole set of 'street town country' becomes one new keyword -- it's a bit annoying, and you need to edit manually.

It can be indirectly used with a pop-up flash -- there's a button on the side which you can press if the gizmo isn't connected to the hot shoe -- take pic with flash, press the button, done.

Real Name
    Jan Diepeveen

Hi All,

I just received my igotU-120 GPS. The reason I bought this one ? I'm dutch so for sure it has to do with the price.
    First try-outs revealed some issues, Like no ON-OFF possibility and no connection between the device and the PC. Reload of the SW, and a device reset did the trick.
    Sensitivity under trees is't 100%, but enough samples do work with.

Regards,
    Jan

Guys,

I am a bit cheap... so geotag my photos manually. I only bother to geotag the ones I put online, and, I don't geotag all that are online. This is what I do:

1. I use the power of my memory to recall where I took particular photos.
    2. On my website I have a little page that basically is a google map of the world, but as you interact with the map it dumps out the coordinates of the centre of the map.
    3. Once I have navigated to the right part of the world, which is not always quick, I copy the data from the label under the map.
    4. In PS or Bridge I paste this info into the IPTC Location field.
    5. In my gallery, if I find a photo has the Location field set, I set up a link to a google map centred on the location given.

Happy to share code or chat to anyone who wants to know more.

Enjoy,
    Graham

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by dendrophile View Post
    Guys,

I am a bit cheap... so geotag my photos manually.
    Sounds like a good system Graham; I think I might struggle with step one though!

What were we talking about again?