Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Construction Project | Night Shots

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Construction Project | Leveling...

Background: I've been spending my nights scouting, snapping, squinting and hanging out the car window to document a $350mil. crosstown expansion project currently underway. Here's a DRAFT, 8 sec. 16mm (x crop) shot from the car, with the camera mounted on a monopod pressed between the door and the seat (I have a Vanguard window mountable clamp + ball head on order).

All C&C is welcome, however I'm particulary interested on feedback re: the choice to level the wall that dominates the foreground at the expense of the lamp post(s).

In this case do you think it's better to level on the horizontal, or the vertical? Thanks very much in advance -

Construction Project | Night Shots
    Last edited by PhotoRob; 12th November 2011 at 03:38 AM.

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Construction Project | Leveling...

A strong image rob just clone out the lamp post, centre left that appears to be unlit, i like the wall in the forground but cant make up my mind about the way it is half lit.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I think you had to level the wall at the expense of the lamppost going off the vertical. The other way round, with the wall heavily angles, wouldn't have looked right at all, in my opinion. A strong documentary image such as this can, I think, carry a distortion like that.

I'd agree with Mark about taking out that lamppost just left of centre. If you're using the all-singing : all-dancing Photoshop thingy it could be done quickly. But even with an old-fashioned cloning brush that we GIMP users make do with, it looks a pretty straightforward job.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Robert, I'd look at the leveling issue both ways before deciding. If you make the wall level, the overpass support column will be leaning over as well as the lamp posts and crates on the overpass.

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Thanks Mark, Donald, Frank, appreciate the feedback. Mark, the wall is actually two different shades vs. being lit and unlit; as a documentary project I'm holding myself to the ethos that what is, is.

I'm actually an up-and-coming Gimp user (just picked up a book on it to help the process along a bit, we'll see) - for now, editing out that lamppost is beyond me, but it's now on the list as an image to practice on.

Thanks again all, more to come...

Real Name
    John

Hi Rob,
    I'm certainly no expert when it comes to PP but was interested in the comments made above. Hope you don't mind, but just out of curiosity had a quick play in Photoshop Elements 9 and tried to adjust your picture to fit some of the suggestions. I like the type and feel of your picture and would be interested in seeing more of what you have done.

Real Name
    Bobo

A very nice image with or without the unlit lamp post. Lets see more of your shots.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Construction Project | Night Shots

What if we add a little 'skew'?

Real Name
    Mark

sorry frank, leave it as it is it works! well done!!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    sorry frank, leave it as it is it works! well done!!
    No problem, Mark. Having everything leaning over by 6° look like an error to me but that's likely because I'm more of an analyist than an artist.

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Thanks John, Frank for editing - really appreciate the various perspectives; that skew is fantastic. Frank, thanks for answering the question I should have asked ( how can I level both the horizontal and vertical, vs. either / or). Perfect example of what CIC is all about.

Thanks again everyone, more to come...