Thread: Christmas Photo Ideas

Real Name
    Brian

Christmas Photo Ideas

Hello everyone!
    I have been requested to shoot some 'Christmas Photos' of my niece and nephew when they visit for Thanksgiving. I'm looking for some ideas!
    The goal will be to make a wonderful portrait of each kid, them together, and maybe even a family photo (all 4 of them).
    The family is supposed to bring some 'outfits' for the kiddos.....
    I'm getting fairly comfortable with lighting, though still struggling with...
    I'm a little stuck on backdrop ideas - I always struggle with this with my beige walls and beige carpet :\
    I could always get a red or green or similar type cloth from Hobby Lobby. Any other ideas?
    As for props, I have thought of the usual santa hats, candies, garland, ornaments, xmas stockings, and/or christmas lights.

I know this is a little vague, but this is what I have to go on and where I'm at.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Christmas Photo Ideas

Perhaps photograph them with something that's meaningful to them eg Aunt Betty with her knitting needles, nephew John with his air rifle etc. Nothing too complicated, just an interesting background - good lighting etc. This is one I took of my Mum - My sister - my sisters daughter - and my sisters daughter's daughter. Nothing fancy - no "loop lighting" - no kicker lights - no makeup ... but they loved it.

Christmas Photo Ideas

Real Name
    Brian

Was this done with light on a stick?
    I'm working on a ghetto version

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    Was this done with light on a stick?
    I'm working on a ghetto version
    Hi Brian,

I had a couple of 580EX IIs firing into a shoot-through umbrella on a boom arm/light stand to camera right, but not hard to concoct something just as effective very simply.

Real Name
    Brian

Colin, I have an umbrella and a stick, now a 580 and a 430 that I'm sure I can rubber band together
    I need to test my 60D wireless commander function outdoors - it actually worked pretty well indoors when tested last night

Real Name

Colin, I have an umbrella and a stick, now a 580 and a 430 that I'm sure I can rubber band together
    I need to test my 60D wireless commander function outdoors - it actually worked pretty well indoors when tested last night
    Hi Brian,

- Just the single 580 will probably be fine for fill flash.

- The normal Canon comms can get tricky with umbrellas, although if it's a transculent, you'll probably have more luck. If in doubt, just get a dirty great big long PC cable

Real Name
    Brian

Yes, one would probably do fine, but i want to try using two! There are some advantages...

Real Name
    Frank Miller

I have been requested to shoot some 'Christmas Photos' of my niece and nephew when they visit for Thanksgiving. I'm looking for some ideas!
    Hi Brian, I did a search for "family christmas photos ideas" and found thousands of family picture taking idea photos to select from. Might give you some additional thoughts on what might work for you.

Real Name
    Brian

Thank goodness for google!
    I looked at several on yahoo as well, thanks Frank.