Thread: Moon rise over Castle Moil, Isle of Skye

Real Name
    Karl

Moon rise over Castle Moil, Isle of Skye

Back in August the wife and I made a trip to Scotland - mainly to the Isle of Skye and the Western Isles in search of my Scottish heritage.

We spent the first few days at Kyle Akin on Skye and behind the hotel we were staying in was the ruins of Castle Moil. One night as we came back from tea (about 9:00pm) the moon was coming up directly behind the ruins and I managed to get the following shot.

Having never really tried anything like this before I was pleased with the result - even though the moon is over exposed.

Comments welcomed

Karl

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Moon rise over Castle Moil, Isle of Skye

Karl

Aahh, often, in my younger days, I took in that view as we waited for the ferry back across to Kyle of Lochalsh (pre-bridge days).

I like this one. The one question that struck me though was whether the moon and the castle were too central and would be better sitting on the the right hand vertical of a rule-of-thirds grid?

So, I hope you don't mind, but the best way of explaining what I mean is to illustrate it. This is a 5:4 ratio crop.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Nice shot Karl. Nice and sharp and well exposed. The effect of the moonlight on the clouds adds to the image also.

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Bill S

Karl,

Nice shot. I do agree with Donald that the castle and moon are too centered in the original. His crop lends itself to a more balanced composition. Additionally (and this is just personal preference and I know you couldn't do anything about it) but I wish the boats weren't there and we could get the reflection of the castle and moon too.

Still a nice capture.

- Bill

Real Name
    Richard

I tend to like Donald's crop...

If it is a moon rise, I wonder how this scene would look if a bit darker overall?

I see there is a Padstow registered fishing boat there, but I can't see the actual name. Quite a few boats from the UK south coasts seem to end up in the far north.

But recently, one went the other way after a friend discovered his old fishing boat abandoned in a Scottish loch. Eventually, the son of the original boatbuilder bought the vessel and returned it to Dorset for a full rebuild.

Nice to hear a happy story once in a while.