Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Chapel St Gras in a dying fall...

Real Name
    Pritam

Chapel St Gras in a dying fall...

These pictures were taken on a walk to the chapel St Gras in Haute-Savoie, French alps. The sun appeared quite miraculously on this, otherwise, dull day in the late afternoon to light up the forest quite gloriously. The colours were stunning but I'm not sure I could capture them as I saw them.

The lens is a Nikon 24/2.8 (autofocus) and all pictures are taken hand-held.

I hope I have not posted too many in a single batch here.

Comments and critic welcomed.

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Chapel St Gras in a dying fall...

Pritam,

These are all very nice shots. In particular, I like the second shot - the strong leading lines really draws me into the shot. One suggestion I have is to try converting some of them to B&W. I think with the dying colors of fall you had presented to you, you could counterbalance that by simply removing the color altogether and focusing on the contrast of the scene.

- Bill

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Pritam,

I find it difficult to give C & C on a series of images, preferring to do so when there is one image and I am asked particular opinions about it.

These are a nice set of images and i would agree with Bill's suggestion about conversion to B & W, particularly in respect of the 4th one in the series.

Pritam...

Just a very nice set and in particular the last one.

Thanks,

Real Name
    Graham Heron

I like the last one (5) as the building is nicely framed between the trees (left and right) with the shadow forming a base to the frame. Leading line of the path to the building as well.
    Here's my version, hope you don't mind. I wanted to increase the leading line effect a little. Took around 90 minutes (including the 85 minutes trip out I had to make)
    Graham

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Nice rendition of Pritam's image, Graham!

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Nice rendition of Pritam's image, Graham!
    Thanks Frank.

Adjustments made.
    1. Straighten
    2. Levels to darken slightly the mid tones (B and W were good)
    3. Saturation (again pretty slight, just enough to make it sing for me a bit more to my own taste)
    4. New layer with belnding mode to softlight. Painted on ot it white to lighten the path (opacity down to around 45%), and darkened the building (to bring out the detail by painting on layer in black), and darkened the LHS border of the path slightly (again painted on softlight layer in black, opacity around 45%). I used new layers for each zone.

I'm really into bringing out the leading lines by tonal adjustments using this technique. It seems that what the camera captures and what I see (in my minds eye - and there's enough room for a large panorama in there) are quite different.

Beautiful location Pritam, I'm sure there are lots of photo-ops there. Keep up the good work.

graham

Graham

Real Name
    Pritam

Thank you all, for viewing and your encouraging comments, especially Frank, "Sabemajeen" (Why not tell us your real name, mate?), Donald, Bill and Graham.

Graham... nice job with enhancing the picture thank you. I did not realise that the building was 'leaning'! What post-processing program do you use? I'm curious.

I just do a little PP with the default iPhoto that I have on my computer. The purchase of an affordable program still remains up in the air for me...

~ Pritam

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Suede View Post
    Graham... nice job with enhancing the picture thank you. I did not realise that the building was 'leaning'! What post-processing program do you use? I'm curious.
    Glad you liked my version. I used Photoshop Elements 7 for all adjustments. Others can advise more on a plethora of other programs (some free, some cheap (like PSE) and others for those with healthy wallets).

Graham

Real Name
    Paul

Nice images Pritam. I do like the last the best and also the color tweak of Grahams version however for me the dark area along the path now looks un-natural and makes the image rather busy.

Real Name
    Pritam

Thanks for the heads-up on the Photoshop Elements, Graham. Unfortunately, the prices of such products in Europe are way above what folks would pay in, say, the US or even in the UK. In principle, I am neither happy nor willing to fork out the huge difference to get exactly the same product. I'll wait till I travel someplace which is more reasonable insofar as pricing goes.

Paul, thanks to you too, for your encouraging comment.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Suede View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up on the Photoshop Elements, Graham. Unfortunately, the prices of such products in Europe are way above what folks would pay in, say, the US or even in the UK. In principle, I am neither happy nor willing to fork out the huge difference to get exactly the same product. I'll wait till I travel someplace which is more reasonable insofar as pricing goes.

Paul, thanks to you too, for your encouraging comment.

Cheers.
    Why don't you purchase them online either from the vendor or Amazon UK and just download? Most people no longer buy CDs when purchasing programs.