Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Remembrance Parade

Real Name
    David

Remembrance Parade

These photographs were taken at the start of the Remembrance parade held in Airdrie. The weather was slightly misty which I thinks adds to the atmosphere of the shots. A little post shot manipulation done on the RAW files using Olympus Masters 2. The camera used was a Olympus E510 with a 14-42mm lens. The photos were cropped to try and tighten them up. Interested to hear what people think of them.

Remembrance Parade

Remembrance Parade

Remembrance Parade

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Remembrance Parade

Sorry David, I missed this post as it was off the Latest threads page before I got to it.

That's a very nice set of images. I'm not a fan of text (signarues etc) being put onto the images. I think if we want that, we should do it in a border. But, that aside, I like the atmosphere you've captured in these, particularly the first. And that's because of its simplicity. It's the memorial, the trees and the one person standing in tribute beside the memorial. Butr what adds an 'extra' to it fro me is the fact that this monument to past events is juxtaposed beside the trappings of modern life - the traffic lights and the road signs. that really works, I think, in terms of strengthening the image.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi David, I like the first one best as it creates a somber atmosphere but I strongly agree with Donald that the text detracts from the reverence and the watermark makes the image look like an advertisement.

Because red is a strong attraction for the eye, I think I would try to tone it down, but not out. I would also make the lone soldier easier to notice as, in my mind, that is the part of the image that conveys the respect and reverence for the fallen ones.

The second image tells less of a story as the monument is not visible.

The third image could be the best but the bus is a strong detractor to the mood the rest of the image conveys.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi David,

I'd agree with Donald and Frank's views, but add that you need to get into the habit of checking your verticals on every shot as part of the workflow. I'm sure the first is leaning to left and the second is possibly a bit to the right.

I'd suggest putting both texts (signature and title) into a border, so they don't compete with image detail.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    David

Thanks Donald and Frank. wasn't too sure about the background traffic lights and I cropped out the one on the opposite side. The band in frame 2 are facing the memorial. I like it as I find the muted colours blend in with the band's uniform. The bus in frame 3 I agree is a distraction, but as the shot is not posed and taken with the band on the march it was a case of getting what I could. i may have a wee shot of photoshopping the bus out, especially if the band want an official print. Like I say I appreciate the feedback as by and large I'm happy with the shots as iss the band, which pleases me.

Real Name
    David

Thanks Dave. Its something I'm noticing that I'm really guilty of, not holding the camera level. I take a lot of shots of bands on the move. I'm usually that busy trying to make sure everything else is ok, including not getting knocked down or bumping into people, I forget to check that the camera's level. Sometimes its the simple things that let me down. Must admit I agree about the signatures, but as you can understand all too often put a photo up on the net and someone else may claim it as there own. Might start posting the unmarked photos on here for perusal and continue with the signature when I post on facebook.

Real Name
    Richard

I had a rash of un-level images. They happened very quickly and the image was always canted in the same diraction to the same degree. I realized that my tilted images began when I added a Canon EX-EP15 Eyepiece Extended. Apparently I had my camera canted when I used the extender. I was viewing my image and holding my camera differently with the extended mounted. I sold the exender and have had no tilted image problems.

Now when I usually shoot, my camera is pretty level. I have played with the camera, putting it into shooting position with my eyes closed; then opening my eye to view the image. It is most often level.

What I am trying (not very well) to say is that when you get into the habit of holding the camera level, most shots will be pretty level without any conscious leveling attempt.

Real Name
    David

Listening to the advice given I went back to the shots and tried to improve. Eager to hear any comments on the new attempts.

Remembrance Parade

Remembrance Parade

Remembrance Parade

Remembrance Parade

Real Name
    Richard

I was one of the Grand Marshals of the San Diego, California Veteran's Day Parade (November 11th) last year and rode with my wife at the head of the parade in a Jeep decorated with an American Flag skin. I had tears running down my cheeks as people cheered the veterans, their flag and what they stand for. It was one of the proudest days of my life. Oh yes, I was also interviewed by a local television news.

Remembrance Parade
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 11th November 2011 at 04:48 PM.

Real Name
    David

Nice photo and memory richard. Notice the weather's a wee bit warmer in your photo. Thanks for the suggestion above re keeping the camera straight. I was out today and made a conscious effort to check the photo's were straight.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dovrob View Post
    Eager to hear any comments on the new attempts.
    Remembrance Parade
    Hi David, I think the last one has great possibilities. It does seem like the monumant is not level. I would be tempted to clone out all of the poles on the right side as they don't contribute. I would also tone down the stripes in the road so that they don't grab attention away from monument and honor guard.

This one, and the first one posted seem to tell the story best to me. In the first two of this set, the parade seems to be ignoring the monument. The third one looks good but would have been great if you could have caught someone placing the wreath at the foot of the monument. All in all, a great set of images.
    Last edited by FrankMi; 13th November 2011 at 12:40 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

David,

It got downright hot that day. However, I think that the somber gray is almost more appropriate for this type of remberance.

Today we had a smaller ceremony in San Marcos, California; closer to where I live. Two local young men (19 and 21) who gave their lives in Iraq were honored. It was a gut wrenching ceremony for me and I expect for most of the attendees.