Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Mist at Sunrise, from Killiechonate Forest

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Mist at Sunrise, from Killiechonate Forest

Was up visiting my dad at the weekend. Took his dog out for an early morning walk on Sunday. First real frost of the winter.

Comments welcomed, as always.

Mist at Sunrise, from Killiechonate Forest
    40D, 70-200mm f/4L IS @ 200mm. ISO100. 1/90@f11.
    Last edited by Donald; 7th November 2011 at 09:49 PM.

Real Name
    Wendy

Re: Mist at Sunrise, from Killiechonate Forest

I love the graduation in tone, I find this a very visually stimulating image. It's almost a shame the mist is there, as it interrupts the gradual darkening pattern (not that i'm any kind of authority on photography!). A great shot!

Real Name
    Joe

I like it. The foreground trees begin to catch my attention and then the decreasing tonal range leads my eyes into and through the image. As I have said before, your work makes me consider monochrome for the right scene. But then I so much love color from my old days shooting slides and underexposing to saturate colors. You truly have mastered what you do.

Real Name
    Mark

Nicely composed with the valley leading the eye to the horizon, love the graduation from light to dark tones, not sure about the grainy look it appears to have on my monitor.

Real Name
    Bobo

I learn so much each time you post a b&w - thanks for that.

Real Name
    Steve

Great shot donald. I've always felt, that a good b&w has a richness of color, if that makes sense . This one certainly does.

Great saturation in the forground---good contrast between the middle portion and the forground and background, and the layers of changing tones, really set it off. The fog also adds a little mystery, as to what is really out there. Very well done!!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thanks to all who posted a comment above.

This one was captured in very different circumstances to my usual practice. As I've written before, I like to work alone ... and slowly. I always go out shooting alone, Lowerpro backpack on and all the gear ready to go. And then I might just look at a shot for 30-40 minutes, working out angles etc., before ever trying a capture. So, I'm not a high-frame shooter.

For this one, I was out for a walk with my dad's dog. Also along was my dearly beloved partner, who I adore most wonderfully, but whom I don't generally want with me on a shoot (sorry, darling!). I didn't have the tripod. Instead all I was carrying was the camera with the 70-200 mounted on it. No accessories at all. I felt naked!

But this one was such a remarkable scene (in my view), that I'd have to do something pretty stupid to fail to capture a good image.