Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Erosion

Real Name
    Tobias Weber

Erosion

Walking along the beach I spotted this old rusty "thing" not entirely sure what it is but nonetheless I thought it made for a great picture

Erosion
    _MG_0359 by Tobias Weber, on Flickr

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Re: Erosion

What is it about photographers? What they think everything is a photo-op?

Well, that's what the wife keeps saying. And to me there's a pic in everything if you can find it.

Great opportunity here.
    Personally I would get the more common composition of getting closer to the wheels (positioned bottom left) so they dominate the picture and angle it so the prop (?) goes off into the distance. The texture of the sand looks like it would be a good backdrop.
    Perhaps getting really low as to silhouette (partial or full) against the sky or intergrate with the tree line.

Yeah, I could really upset the wife with that location. And come away with some really interesting shots I hope.

Graham

I too think you need to get in closer. There's too much unimportant background which detracts from the interest of the subject.
    By the way, the "thing" is a form of trolley to move boats down to the water's edge and bring them back up the beach. Don't know the correct name, but that is definitely its purpose.

Regards, Mike

Real Name
    Tobias Weber

Thanks Mike that's actually what I thought it was.

I actually tried getting in closer but it was so windy on the day I already had trouble getting this shot. When I got in closer I just got hammered by the sand and was to worried that my gear might get damaged.

I can't quite understand what that piece of equipment is, Tobias.

To the right, but just out of sight is what I assume to be the drawbar with a towing hitch; but it ends, on the left, with a universal joint!

I can only assume there was once another set of wheels attached to the frame after the UJ: which was necessary to counter the uneveness of ground over such a long length and without axle springs.

But there aren't any uprights to support a boat, unless they were on the missing piece. In many ways it looks like a timber transporter, for tree stumps etc.

But I suppose we will never now know the reasons for it's fabrication.

Real Name
    Mike

It looks like a trailer extension to me, for pulling or launching larger boats on shallow ramps.

Yes that is possible, Mike.

The boat carrying trailer attaches to the end of the bar, beyond the UJ so it enables launching from a shallow beach without the towing vehicle being at risk from getting swamped in the surf.