Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sunrise in Lachine, Quebec

Real Name
    Erik

Sunrise in Lachine, Quebec

Hi All,

Been too long since I have posted anything.
    Though, I have been busy with a Creative Photography class and have been practicing.

I went out this morning to attempt to capture a sunrise. I an happy with the overall composition and colors or the sky, though was unable to get detail in the land once the sun can over the horizon. Would HDR be the only method to achieving detail in both sky and land?

Your comments/critiques to the below photos would be much appreciated.

1/30, f/3.5, ISO 140

1/30, f/22, ISO 110

1/10, f/22, ISO 140

Thanks for viewing,

Erik

Real Name
    James

Re: Sunrise in Lachine, Quebec

Hi Erik

#1 is my choice, however what i have noticed with it is the horizon seems to be running downhill from right to left, maybe a little straightening in PP would fix this,
    sorry i cant help with the HDR question....

Regards
    James

Real Name
    Erik

Thanks James.

Your right about the horizon. This still needs to be worked on. I'm still playing with CS5.

Below is my first attempt to HDR.

Thanks,

Erik

Real Name
    robert

From what little i've done in HDR with Photomatix, it requires 3 images, 1 each at +2, 0, -2 exposure compensation,it seems to me that your -2 image would be very dark if your image #1 above is 0. i've had some ok results using a ND filter on sunrise images, where the sun is breaking at the horizon http://www.flickr.com/photos/3008943...n/photostream; but your image has the sunbreak off set to the left so you are dealing with tangential flat lighting, perhaps a grad ND filter might help; also what is the difference in lens focal length from image 1 to image 2? its difficult to compare the 2 views as you have changed the image "content"; image 1 i found the streetlight flares in the trees distracting, i didn't notice the slight tilt to the horizon initially as that is a "mechanical" defect.