Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: New England in the Fall

New England in the Fall

I love playing with highly rendered techniques.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Viana; 28th November 2011 at 06:57 PM.

Real Name
    Mike

Re: New England in the Fall

Viana- I think its a real good image to start with, so they both look good. The artsy version is not overdone and the clouds are more interesting there than the first. I notice the leaves on the shade side are lit up. Strobe/flash?

Real Name
    Kevin

Viana<

On Sunday, I prefer the plain; on Monday, the artsy. Both excellent and emotive in different ways. Purely a matter of taste (and mood). Sometimes I feel highly rendered images are trying too hard, and sometimes they seem genius. I'd be proud of both of these

Kevin

Thanks for the comments guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
    Viana- I think its a real good image to start with, so they both look good. The artsy version is not overdone and the clouds are more interesting there than the first. I notice the leaves on the shade side are lit up. Strobe/flash?

No flash or strobe.

Actually, Mike in the original SOOC the leaves are in silhouette. I debated about leaving them dark, but decided that I preferred the “Fill Light” look.

Everything is done via PSP in Lightroom and Photoshop.

It is easier to recover dark areas in a photo than blown highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Viana<

On Sunday, I prefer the plain; on Monday, the artsy. Both excellent and emotive in different ways. Purely a matter of taste (and mood). Sometimes I feel highly rendered images are trying too hard, and sometimes they seem genius. I'd be proud of both of these

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I try to not make the “artsy,” rendered photos look weirded out.

Your response was rather like mine: One day this, another day that. I like them both; so it is a matter of mood and personal taste as to which one is superior to whomever is looking.

Real Name
    Joe

Both are amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by jjbacoomba View Post
    Both are amazing!
    Thank you, Joe.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I thought the composition (and timing) was superb, but there were aspects of both versions that I didn't think did them justice (the first is a little flat and soft, whereas the 2nd is too surreal for my taste), so I thought I'd try an alternative look for you. Hope you don't mind ...

New England in the Fall
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 5th November 2011 at 10:43 PM.

Real Name
    Mike

Whoa! Colin, thats a nice one too. Did you sorta combine both images or work off the first one on PP and make it like this? I really like what you did.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
    Whoa! Colin, thats a nice one too. Did you sorta combine both images or work off the first one on PP and make it like this? I really like what you did.
    Hi Mike,

I just worked off the first one. It had quite dark shadows, but obviously very light midtones, which can make this type of image difficult "to attack" processing wise, so a technique I use is to apply a positive vignette to lift the shadows way up - then apply clarity and adjustments to fine-tune the low end - and then re-apply a vignette (all in one ACR operation) so that I get some punch in the sky, but without killing the shadows. In Photoshop I just gave it a quick sharpen, and a minor tweak to the levels.

Real Name
    Mike

Geez, colin, you make it sound so easy!