Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: All Saints from Marlow Bridge after Sunset

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

All Saints from Marlow Bridge after Sunset

This is a much favored vista with photographers. It has caused some interesting discussion as two photographers whose opinion I respect have very much opposing views i.e. one likes the composition and the other does not. I would welcome your views.

Aperture: f/4 Shutter Speed: 1/125 ISO: 100

Real Name
    Philip

Re: All Saints from Marlow Bridge after Sunset

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    ...one likes the composition and the other does not. I would welcome your views.
    The composition looks fine to me, Chris. If the modern homes on the left are seen as a problem, you could try a 5:4 format crop of the whole frame to remove them.

(On a different point, I would try to tone down the sky a little - it seems a bit bright for me.)

Philip

Real Name
    Chris

Initially, I liked the composition as is, but upon a second look, I began to notice some "relatively" serious distortion in the image, likely caused by a wide angle shot. I felt like there was too much curvature in the support cables and everything tended to lean toward the center point.

Doing some distortion control in CS5, and cleaning up some of the ground debris as well as a crop that I think still personifies the bridge but allows for the church and arch to take prominent statures. By the by, I love the new Mini Countryman coming through the arch.

Real Name
    Steve

I like it more without the houses or distortion; would it look nice with a longer focal length, Spire and part arch in vertical aspect and wide open, I don't know.

The only interesting bridge near me is falling down I think; thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Philip

Chris, I like the composition from (Mini)Chris but the sky is still too bright for me. I also think it becomes more interesting when it is a bit darker:

Philip

Real Name
    Chris

I originally had darkened the sky in my edit but realized quickly that the rich, red-orange-pinks in the upper left competed too much with the church as a focal point. I felt like the slightly overblown sky helped push the eye back toward the church by counterbalancing the church and arch itself.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Sorry not to have replied before now. Thanks Chris and others for your helpful coments.

Just speaking personally, Chris, I don't like this scene at all. But it's nothing to do with your photography.

From that angle there is just too much confusion and conflicting angles. I'm not sure what is wrong but I think it is something to do with the bridge cables and railings which are all going in different directions.

Somehow my eye is drawn from the bottom right corner, by way of the railings, etc, to the bridge arch, which has a confused scene behind it. Then the left side railings/supports catch my eye and return me to the foreground. The church requires a jump of concentration. And with nothing above the bridge arch the church seems out of context.

I have been considering cropping out part of the bridge or church so that there is only one main focal point, but I still can't get anything to look 'balanced' for me.

Mini Chris's version brings things together a bit better but I still find two distinct areas of interest which are competing for my attention.