Thread: Memory Card Reading Partial Images when read in Computer

Memory Card Reading Partial Images when read in Computer

Hello Everyone,

My Memory cards contains 1140 images when it is in my Camera, The minute I take it out to upload the images to my computer it only shows me 150 images.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Nick
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 5th November 2011 at 06:01 AM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Memory Card Reading Partial Images when read in Computer

Ni Nick,

Sounds like something is a bit corrupt. Are you able to attach the camera directly to the computer via a USB cable, and read them that way?

Also, was the card originally formatted in the PC card reader, or in the camera?

Real Name
    Alex

Hi Nick,

What are you using to view the images on the computer? If you use photo downloading software then often it will only show any new images taken since you last downloaded.

See if you can browse directly to the files on the memory card using a card reader.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Ni Nick,

Sounds like something is a bit corrupt. Are you able to attach the camera directly to the computer via a USB cable, and read them that way?

Also, was the card originally formatted in the PC card reader, or in the camera?
    Hi Colin, I have attach the camera directly via a USB and it gives me the same problem, Only 150 are viewable on the Comp once the USB is connected to the Camera.

Card was always formatted in the Camera (meaning I always deleted all pictures on it in the Camera)

Quote Originally Posted by herbert View Post
    Hi Nick,

What are you using to view the images on the computer? If you use photo downloading software then often it will only show any new images taken since you last downloaded.

See if you can browse directly to the files on the memory card using a card reader.

Alex
    Hi Alex

I'm not using any kind of Software, Just browsing thru them (normal Jpeg), I can browse the images on the memory card no problem but it only shows me 150 images out of 1140, it seems like they are never there and it only shows 150 images.

Real Name
    Alex

You may want to have a look at this post from The Digital Picture website:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...aspx?News=1308

The post is a recommedation for some free software for recovering deleted photos from a disc. The software is called Piriform Recuva and it works by ignoring the file system tables (where records of your files are kept) and actually looks at the disc data itself. It may be able to have a better look at your memory card and see if there are any photos there that are not being picked up by your computer.

If that does not help with a memory card then there should be other software that you can try that is specifically aimed at recovery of photos from flash memory devices.

Alex

Some more detail might help. Please can you tell us:
    1) What camera are you using?
    2) What type of card are you using? (CF/SD/??)
    3) What operating system does you computer use? (XP/Vista/Windows 7/??)
    4) When you say "Card was always formatted in the Camera (meaning I always deleted all pictures on it in the Camera)" what do you really mean?
    a) that in your camera's menu system you found the option to format the card and used that
    OR
    b) that in your camera's menu system you used the 'delete' option

Thanks,

Ken

Hi Ken,

I am using a Sony Alpha300 with a 8gb compact flash. I am using windows 7

I used format function in my camera,

Alex I will give that software a try, but I doubt because none of my photes are deleted it only shows my partial pictures once I try to upload them to my computer. But once back in the camera it shows all pictures..

Hmm...

My best guess is that when you are viewing the card in camera and NOT connected to a PC you are seeing all the photos on the card, which are spread across various folders, you are just not aware that they are in multiple locations on the card

BUT

When you connect the camera to your PC your PC is only displaying the contents of one folder, that happens to hold only 150 images.

With the card in the camera and connected to your PC showing only 150 files in My Computer/Explorer Or with the card our of the camera an in a dedicated card reader, can you navigate up a level and find other folders on the disk? If so you'll find your missing files in those folders.

Ken