Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sparrow

Real Name
    John

Sparrow

All comments welcome. This feels rigid to me. How can I get it more "relaxed"?

Sparrow

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Sparrow

Not sure I'd agree that it's 'rigid'. But the bird is too soft. It needs sharpened.

Real Name
    John

Thanks Donald. This seems to be a true problem for me. Maybe cropped too much? I used USM. Go more with this? Other ways to get it sharper. This is shot with 50D, 70-200mm f2.8L @ f/14, ISO 400, 1/320th second. Maybe my eyes are failing I'm using manual.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

John

As well as the tutorials on CiC on the subject, this thread gives some practical advice and guidance. See if they help at all.

Real Name
    John

Yes. Much help. Also, manual focus, for me, was asking too much at this distance and with this heavy (hand-held) lens. I've tried again with ISO 200, f/8, aperature priority, and got this....

Sparrow

Real Name
    robert

It almost appears that you focused on the front of the feeder cage wires; it's difficult to manually focus on a smaller bird as it lacks any sharp contrast point to achieve sharp focus at with the exception of the birds eye & the demarking line where its upper & lower beak meet; you are using f/14 so that should render enough foreground clarity to have the feeder still in focus while actually focusing on the bird; if you used AF you might try selecting the center AF point so that you would be centered on the bird; from the exif data you provided i can't readily discern if the 50D was set on M , Av, Tv or P; i shoot with a EOS 50D also, with birds i have to weigh if i want dof(emphasis on the bird) or stop action; if the former is important i set the camera to Av , then select an appropriate f/ while the latter requires Tv & selecting the shutter speed needed to arrest motion; the bird appears to be in sufficient illumination to use either center weighted average or spot metering, this might help "liven up" the birds somewhat bland coloration; you didn't state what focal length the lens was set on or how far the bird feeder was from you, but it appears like less than 35ft ; i agree with the others that the cropping is a bit extreme,but you might have been biasing the birds position in the frame to conveying impending flight.

Real Name
    John

Thanks, Robert. In that shot, I used manual focus. In the next shot (squirrel and bird), I used Av, f/8, ISO 200, autofocus and IS. The lens is fully out for both shots (200mm). I think the focusing has improved in the second shot(pay no attention to the composition). I'm thinking of getting a 2X extender to avoid heavy cropping. Any thoughts?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by jonjdoe View Post
    Yes. Much help. Also, manual focus, for me, was asking too much at this distance and with this heavy (hand-held) lens. I've tried again with ISO 200, f/8, aperature priority, and got this....

Sparrow
    Now, that's it.

Certainly, when you're shooting with a lens that you know gives you good autofocus and particularly if you've got subjects that aren't going to stay still, then using that autofocus is choice #1 - every time.

That is a good image. Perfect example of getting yourself in the right place at the right time and seizing the opportunity that presented itself.

Real Name
    robert

A 2x extender will make a 200mm lens the equivalent of a 640mm on a 35mm sensor due to the 1.6 crop factor, but it will also cause a 2f/ loss of light hitting the image sensor & will double the effective set lens aperature, e.g. f/2.8 becomes f/5.6; usually folks buy a 2x extender for more distant "birding" image captures; at 1 time i was considering a 2x extender but i would lose AF with my Canon 70-200mm F4L USM, this is not the case with the 70-200mm F2.8L; composition & RAW or JPEG capture @ 15 Mp has a lot to do with how much cropping you can do to improve the subject size; AF (auto focus) & IS are phenomenal for better images, but remember the 1.6X image sensor crop factor if you are hand holding w/o IS because @ 200mm you would have to set a minimum shutter speed of 1/320 or greater to theoretically have the reciprocal of the effective lens length of 320mm. Personally, i would learn to use the 70-200mm lens with the many camera settings to achieve a "second nature" level of expertise before i added another variable to the equation. I have extended the utility of my sharp 70-200mm F4L to macro use by coupling 2 extension tubes to the camera body instead of buying a dedicated & gulp expensive canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens. Enjoy your camera & wonderful lens, cheers bob

Real Name
    John

Thanks, Donald. This makes me think I CAN get there someday!

Real Name
    John

Thanks, Robert, for the advice. My intention is to get good with this lens, then expand!