Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Street Food

Real Name
    Paul Sevenster

Street Food

Hi

I took this near where I live (Shenzhen, China) and it's very busy little street where you can buy all sorts of food mainly at night.

What I would like to know is, for photos like this, should there be more of a subject/focal point? For instance, would it be better if the two people in the foreground were more prominent? But the idea of the photo is also to show how busy this little street is.

1/50 5.6 ISO800

Street Food

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Street Food

I agree with you Paul, i think a larger focal point would add to this image.

Real Name
    Paul Sevenster

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    I agree with you Paul, i think a larger focal point would add to this image.
    Thanks Mark, well will just have to go back and try again.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Paul, you are correct in usually needing a subject that is obvious. Consider the image you posted. What if the angle was just a little lower and slightly to the right looking more to the left. Now add to that the two people in the forefront just a little larger in the image? They would then become the main subject with all of the activity in the background supporting their activity. Hope this helps!

Real Name
    Paul Sevenster

Frank

Thanks and yes, that makes sense and helps a lot. Will try this again and see if I can get a better result.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

All those colours, lights, people. Could take a few hours to walk through the scene alone, never mind if there is more around the corner.
    Great location.

BTW, do you use a tripod? Monopod? Handheld?
    (Frist time I used a monopod, people thought I was a pro - wife laughed at that as well)

Real Name
    Brian

Perhaps a shallower DOF would help isolate the subjects too. Can you shoot at f4 or 2.8? I personally prefer the subjects take up a lot of room in an image, though many do not, so I think you can do either! However, I do not like their position in the frame - almost out of it! Frank made a good suggestion about perspective that could improve this type of image as well.
    Now if the subject is the entire street scene, then none of what I said makes any sense
    Thanks for posting.

Real Name
    Paul Sevenster

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    All those colours, lights, people. Could take a few hours to walk through the scene alone, never mind if there is more around the corner.
    Great location.

BTW, do you use a tripod? Monopod? Handheld?
    (Frist time I used a monopod, people thought I was a pro - wife laughed at that as well)
    Hi
    A tripod is definitely next on the shopping list. Although at this location just finding a place to stand is a challenge let alone setting up a tripod.

Real Name
    Paul Sevenster

Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    Perhaps a shallower DOF would help isolate the subjects too. Can you shoot at f4 or 2.8? I personally prefer the subjects take up a lot of room in an image, though many do not, so I think you can do either! However, I do not like their position in the frame - almost out of it! Frank made a good suggestion about perspective that could improve this type of image as well.
    Now if the subject is the entire street scene, then none of what I said makes any sense
    Thanks for posting.
    Brian

I actually thought of taking my 50mm f1.8 to see if I can get a more isolated subject and still have enough of the street in the background. So the in this case the subject is the street scene, but like everyone has said it needs a stronger focal point and the street should be secondary.
    Thanks for the comment it helps.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Paul,

I'd suggest using a wide-angle zoom; zoom to get the field of view that you're after, and then push in close until something in the foreground (remembering the rule of thirds) assumes a "significant perspective".

If you can't use a tripod then use a fairly high ISO and/or a monopod.

Hope this helps

Real Name
    Paul Sevenster

Thanks Colin, it certainly does help. It's great to see everyone's ideas so this gives me some options to go and try out. Sometimes it's a little daunting when you see an interesting scene like this, but just have no idea where to start or how to approach it.

Will be back soon...

Real Name
    Bobo

You are fortunate to get a higher vantage point so you can easily compose for the scene and isolate a place where you want the action to happen, pre-focus and then wait.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by psevenster View Post
    Hi

I took this near where I live (Shenzhen, China) and it's very busy little street where you can buy all sorts of food mainly at night.

What I would like to know is, for photos like this, should there be more of a subject/focal point? For instance, would it be better if the two people in the foreground were more prominent? But the idea of the photo is also to show how busy this little street is.

1/50 5.6 ISO800

Street Food
    I was thinking, bit too much space, or, I don't know. Something like this, crowded and confused.
    Street Food

Real Name
    Paul Sevenster

Bobo, I like your idea, that can certainly work.

Steve, wow, your crop does turn it into confusion...I think it scares me a little.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Street Food
    I think that's a very good re-working of the image. Creates much more of an atmosphere and sets up a good main point of interest with that woman on the right-hand third vertical and the line of lights in front of her and behind.

Real Name
    Steve

Paul, I suggest you focus on an individual or two and blur all those colored lights in the background for a visually appealing bokeh.