Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Old Compost Bins

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The Old Compost Bins

My first dip into the commentary pages with a request for your comments, advice etc.

It's about trying to produce good B & W images. I'd really welcome views about the conversion. With more than a nod to the tutorial on this site and to that at http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/...W-fine-art.htm this is an effort I'd like to expose to your constructive criticism.

The B & W is followed by the original as out of camera, converted straight to JPEG in Canon DPP.

The Old Compost Bins

And (40D, 17-85 IS Kit at 17. 1/5th@F11 Manual)
    The Old Compost Bins

Thanks

Re: The Old Compost Bins

It may be my monitor but I am getting a hint of sepia in the b/w image. That is not to say it is distracting because the image certainly has impact. I suspect if there is sepia there it may be to do with the method of conversion. I tried this method myself using GIMP but I could never get the tone right. Being a simpleton I usually adjust the colour image in UFRaw then desaturate using the same. I then use curves and levels to taste and then dodge and burn as required. The burn tool can do wonders for a sky in the b/w image. Lastly I apply Lens (filter) to see if the image benefits from a slight tint (although splitting the channels is probably a better bet). Lastly I apply USM. I find that there is no need to pussy foot with USM and b/w images. Lastly add a black border it does it for me anyway.

Edit: apologies the sepia is an optical illusion due to looking at both images together. If I cover the lower image the greys appear much better

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: The Old Compost Bins

Wirefox

Many thanks for your comments. I see what you mean re the two images being viewed together.

On the subject of tones, have you ever looked at the Sampled Tone Images at the Gimpguru (http://gimpguru.org/Tutorials/SampleToning/)? Would you use these at all? Go another route? Or just not touch toning at all?

Donald