Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Mersehead Sands

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Mersehead Sands

I used the same set of old sticks stuck in the beach (still don't know what they were for) for this one as I used for this one. Just shot it from a different angle.

This is adjacent to a major nature/wildlife reserve where I took this one and this one.

As always, any thoughts are welcomed. I'm thinking that, overall, it's a bit too bright, but I know some of you think a lot of my stuff is too dark and gloomy.

Mersehead Sands
    40D, Sigma 120-400 F4.5-5.6 APO DG OS @120mm. ISO 200. 1/500@f8.

Real Name
    Tom

Re: Mersehead Sands

My only thought is that I love it. A really fantastic shot!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I used the same set of old sticks stuck in the beach (still don't know what they were for) for this one as I used for this one. Just shot it from a different angle.

This is adjacent to a major nature/wildlife reserve where I took this one and this one.

As always, any thoughts are welcomed. I'm thinking that, overall, it's a bit too bright, but I know some of you think a lot of my stuff is too dark and gloomy.

Mersehead Sands
    40D, Sigma 120-400 F4.5-5.6 APO DG OS @120mm. ISO 200. 1/500@f8.
    In areas where there are tidal flats, fishermen would set a series of poles like this and string gill nets. The tide would come in and go out and they'd collect the fish that were caught in the nets, then take the nets down for repair and storage. Perhaps these are gill net poles?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thanks Frank. I thought it had to be something like that.

Am I right in thinking that these poles were also for the same purpose?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Donald,

I'm not sure why, but I just feel the posts need to be further left and a little lower in the composition.

Does that make any sense?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I'm not sure why, but I just feel the posts need to be further left and a little lower in the composition.
    You can put them where you want mate, but ...........!!!!

Yes, I know what you're saying, Dave. The thinking that placed them where they are was that they are the one dominant feature in the picture and it felt balanced to put them in that more central position.

In terms of the position viz-a-viz height, factors such as the edge of the bay over there in England (Yes, those are the hills of the English lake district across the Solway Firth) and the line of the top of the hills, came into play. I didn't want anything sitting right on the half-way line. Also, I wanted to retain a reasonable amount of beach in the foreground; i.e. in front of the posts.

That was my thinking. But, of course, I am always happy if this stimulates others to develop alternative concepts adn ideas about how the image could have been made.

Real Name
    Kay

I must admit to being a fan of the 'darker gloomier' DMcK images. But I do like the angles in this one and the change in texture with the angles between the foreground and where the sticks are. Does that make sense?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Does that make sense?
    What is this woman taking about !!

Of course it makes sense. And thank you. I hadn't actually articulated that change of texture between fore and middle ground. But it's a very obvious and, I think, good feature, once you raise it to a conscious level.

I knew I wanted that foreground, but hadn't expressed that wish in terms of texture.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Thanks Frank. I thought it had to be something like that.

Am I right in thinking that these poles were also for the same purpose?
    If the poles are mostly underwater with the tide, then yes, that would be my guess.

Ah, just found this link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2633170

Donald,
    For what it's worth, I like it, very much. As I look at it, I see in the foreground (lower third) great 'detail' in the flats, from the poles down. From the poles, the detail in the flats washes as it meets the mountains (middle third), likewise washed of great detail, which then leads into the background (the upper third) with great detail in the sky, comparable to the level of detail in the foreground, kind of a mirror image of 'detail'. Frankly I think if you were to 'darken' the image (mood) it would lose what I find appealing about it. It conveys a clear impression of a sunny, warm, summer day.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Hey Donald,

That's a fantastic shot. But even I was thinking about a little crop at the bottom.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Well, I'll be d........!

Thanks, Frank