Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Colour Purple - Again !

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

The Colour Purple - Again !

I posted a similar thread to this a few months ago using a shot I had taken a couple of years ago. As it is currently Jacaranda time in Brisbane, I decided to go back for an update. Hope you enjoy and for those of you who are getting sick of my purple trees, thank you for your indulgence.

Cheers Dave

Pls click on images for best viewing.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: The Colour Purple - Again !

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    I decided to go back for an update. Hope you enjoy ...
    I do. I do.

The lamp-posts are less intrusive in #2 but the colour in #1 is more spectacular. Also, not sure if the intrusion of that branch top-right in #1 works just as well as it might have.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thanks for commenting Donald.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Also, not sure if the intrusion of that branch top-right in #1 works just as well as it might have.
    Agreed. It would be better if it were not there. I'm not sure whether my cloning skills are good enough to get rid of that however.

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I do. I do.
    The lamp-posts are less intrusive in #2 but the colour in #1 is more spectacular.
    Hello again Dave. I agree with Donald - enjoyable photos.

Two suggestions - In 2, the verticals in the centre and behind the trees on the right seem to show me that the image needs a slight clockwise rotation and, by comparison with 1, 2 could be a little brighter. E.g. -

Philip

Real Name
    robert

1 of my foibles is being so enchanted with the instant allure of a scene that "discriminating" composition seems to evaporate; to surmount this i force myself to incrementally observe a scene from several angular aspects while looking thru the camera's viewfinder; since i first visualize many scenes "in my minds eye" i often don't "see" distracting elements that seem to "suddenly materialize" after the images are downloaded into my pc; another very real "parallax" phenomena rears its tentacles especially with telephoto lens over 80mm, i.e. what i see when peering at a scene over my camera/lens longitudinal axis differs from the actual viewfinder's image.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Hello again Dave. I agree with Donald - enjoyable photos.

Two suggestions - In 2, the verticals in the centre and behind the trees on the right seem to show me that the image needs a slight clockwise rotation and, by comparison with 1, 2 could be a little brighter. E.g. -

Philip
    Thanks for the comments Philip. The lack of vericality in my #2 must be an illusion I think caused by the trees on the left because I did actually line up the light poles with the grid. (That's assuming they are actually verical !) I agree that a little more brightness helps #2 , especially when it's viewed alongside #1.

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by elfbob View Post
    1 of my foibles is being so enchanted with the instant allure of a scene that "discriminating" composition seems to evaporate; to surmount this i force myself to incrementally observe a scene from several angular aspects while looking thru the camera's viewfinder; since i first visualize many scenes "in my minds eye" i often don't "see" distracting elements that seem to "suddenly materialize" after the images are downloaded into my pc; another very real "parallax" phenomena rears its tentacles especially with telephoto lens over 80mm, i.e. what i see when peering at a scene over my camera/lens longitudinal axis differs from the actual viewfinder's image.
    Thanks for your comments Robert.Yes it's very easy to just not see things because you are mentally focussed on the main part of the scene. In this case (image 1) I could have positioned a bit to the left and a bit forward of where I was but that would have put me smack bang in the middle of a bikeway. I probably did notice the branch but didn't realise how prominent it would be even after reviewing the shot on the camera screen.

Cheers Dave