Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Big Tree...

Real Name
    Joe

Big Tree...

This tree has been estimated to be 3500 years old. It is the largest tree east of the Mississippi River, located in Bog Tree Park in Longwood, FLorida.

Big Tree...

Big Tree...

Big Tree...

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Big Tree...

Never too old to learn something new! Thank you, Joe! I learned something new today.

Hard to get something that tall in a single shot. I wonder if it could be done with a vertical panoramic shot without looking 'strange'?

Real Name
    Joe

Re: Big Tree...

Hi Frank,

I do not think it could fit in a single shot. I used the widest lens I had an 18mm. The area that one has to take photos is restricted because it is in the middle of a wet area and access is along a boardwalk. The photographs do not depict the size of the tree, people are restricted by railings not allowing anyone closer than about thirty feet. The trunk of the tree at the bottom is seventeen feet in diameter. Enormous compared to other trees in the area. It is a blessing that the logging that happened in Florida left this tree untouched. It is the fifth oldest tree in the world, estimated to be 3500 years old. The volume of board feet in the trunk is estimated to be 5100 cubic feet. The largest Bald Cypress in the world.