Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Best video and sound formats for screen capture tutorials

rob marshall

Best video and sound formats for screen capture tutorials

Hi

I'm creating some video tutorials for viewing on youtube. I use NCH Debut software for screen capture, which works very well. I had some poor-quality issues initially, but then switched to creating the capture in .MOV (Quicktime) format, and generating the output video in .MPG (MPEG) in HD1080, which gives an excellent quality. Although the files are quite large (170mb for 11 mins) there are few restrictions on uploading to youtube.

I found this list of formats yesterday, and I must confess that all of this is new to me. Do any of you know the best formats to use given that I want excellent quality? http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_media.asp

Re: Best video and sound formats for screen capture tutorials

Hi

I'm creating some video tutorials for viewing on youtube. I use NCH Debut software for screen capture, which works very well. I had some poor-quality issues initially, but then switched to creating the capture in .MOV (Quicktime) format, and generating the output video in .MPG (MPEG) in HD1080, which gives an excellent quality. Although the files are quite large (170mb for 11 mins) there are few restrictions on uploading to youtube.

I found this list of formats yesterday, and I must confess that all of this is new to me. Do any of you know the best formats to use given that I want excellent quality? https://www.welookups.com/html/html_media.html

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by aditya12 View Post
    Hi

I found this list of formats yesterday, and I must confess that all of this is new to me. Do any of you know the best formats to use given that I want excellent quality? https://www.welookups.com/html/html_media.html
    If you check the date of this posting, it is almost 8 years old. The person who posted this question is no longer a member of this site.

Any better alternative than NCH Debut software? the recording size is too large and the interface is ugly

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by taljake View Post
    Any better alternative than NCH Debut software? the recording size is too large and the interface is ugly
    We are primarily a still image site and while I have used video capture in the past distant for getting material for teaching techniques.

At the time, I used Adobe Captivate which was probably the best product available at the time. The most recent version I have is Captivate 3 (which came out in 2012), so it has been a very long time. It is now up to Captivate 2019; 9 releases later.

I used the software to capture the screen work, but would edit and resize it in Adobe Premiere Pro. I did the voice over capture and edits in Adobe Audition. Running a dual screen setup, I would capture my working screen and would run the software on the second screen, so ugly interface, etc. was never a problem. This also helped my control the recording size as I could resize and compress as required for my final output. I would use a different size for something that played on the internet than one that people could watch locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    We are primarily a still image site and while I have used video capture in the past distant for getting material for teaching techniques.

At the time, I used Adobe Captivate which was probably the best product available at the time. The most recent version I have is Captivate 3 (which came out in 2012), so it has been a very long time. It is now up to Captivate 2019; 9 releases later.

I used the software to capture the screen work, but would edit and resize it in Adobe Premiere Pro. I did the voice over capture and edits in Adobe Audition. Running a dual screen setup, I would capture my working screen and would run the software on the second screen, so ugly interface, etc. was never a problem. This also helped my control the recording size as I could resize and compress as required for my final output. I would use a different size for something that played on the internet than one that people could watch locally.
    checked adobe website and found out it is pricely.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

You asked about a better tool than the product that you use. You did not mention cost being important to you.

I don't know your needs and Captivate might not be appropriate for what you want to do.

The Adobe Captivate advantage is certainly attractive,if it's not in your budget,let's know what it is.
    I know cheap one,it is called Tunesbro Screen Geeker,it's cheaper than Adobe Captivate.
    Last edited by Plaserpper; 14th April 2019 at 08:02 AM.