Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Phottix Odin

Real Name
    Mark

Phottix Odin

I recently bought one of these and 2 receivers for my 580 ii speedlites. The system does basically the same as the Pocket Wizard and Radiopopper equivalents. ie. radio frequency off camera ETTL flash control. It can control 3 groups of flashes independently up to 100m. Allows HSS, FEC and 2nd curtain sync. So far it has worked flawlessly. It is well made and everything can be controlled from the camera. It has 3 modes (ETTL, manual and Ratio).

I have a few bits and pieces made by Phottix and they are all really good. They have a nice solid feel and certainly debunk the "cheap Chinese" myth.

A question for Colin. If I use ETTL off camera and flashes fire though an umbrella, is the ETTL metering still effective? I know the flash fires a predetermined pre flash and then measures it and calculates the correct flash intensity based on that measurement. I just wonder whether this preflash is "interfered with" by the umbrella or not.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Phottix Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Markvetnz View Post
    A question for Colin. If I use ETTL off camera and flashes fire though an umbrella, is the ETTL metering still effective? I know the flash fires a predetermined pre flash and then measures it and calculates the correct flash intensity based on that measurement. I just wonder whether this preflash is "interfered with" by the umbrella or not.
    Hi Mark,

Yes, the pre-flash is "interfered with", but that's a good thing, because it then allows the camera to compensate. The only problem is that sometimes the pre-flash is attentuated to such a degree that the camera cannot detect it reliably - get's it wrong - and then sends the wrong power level commands to the flashes, and you're left wondering why your exposures are so inconsistent. PocketWizards have an option for auto pre-flash boost to get around this, but I doubt it's a feature you'll find on the Phottix Odins.