Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Step by Step

Real Name
    Rob

Step by Step

The learning curve continues...

Step by Step

Hope you like. Comments, suggestions and/or tips etc are most welcome as always.
    Rob

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Step by Step

Hi Rob,

I think I like it.

Can I ask; was the perspective manipulated in Photoshop (or similar) to get the steps at the far end to line up across the top of frame and go into the corner?

I ask because my brain is telling me they shouldn't twist along their length like that.

It is also a shame they go quite so soft 'over there', perhaps f/16 instead of f/5 next time?

I do like the idea though,

Real Name
    Rob

Hi Dave,

Fist of all thanks for the feedback. Regarding PS manipulation, I didn't do anything. I've just looked at the original raw file also, and it's the same. I had to check because I did use the straighten tool, which I though may have distorted the perspective.

In terms of aperture setting, I'm very impressed you could tell f/5(how?). I played around a bit with the focus, by putting the foreground out/in and so on, but this is the one I thought to be best. I didn't, however, play around much with the aperture. I think you could be right though. After looking at the picture again, maybe it would be better at f/16 or higher so we can see a little more detail at the "point".

Well based on those comments I now have three problems:
    1) I'm now totally distracted by the steps' slight tangent. I therefore need to PS this out.
    2) I like the idea of having ca. f/16, so I'm going to give it a go
    3) In order to achieve 2 I need to get out, armed with my camera, and take another shot!

Thanks again Dave

Rob..

Real Name
    Steve

Step by Step

Interesting. Angles between black lines and between a red and a black line (vertical black lines as well) get smaller as we "descend".

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by EDGE1 View Post
    ~ Regarding PS manipulation, I didn't do anything. I've just looked at the original raw file also, and it's the same. I had to check because I did use the straighten tool, which I though may have distorted the perspective.
    If it was just the straighten tool, I wouldn't have thought so.

My next thought was lens distortion - except it was shot at 53mm, not 18mm (where it would be expected).

Quote Originally Posted by EDGE1 View Post
    In terms of aperture setting, I'm very impressed you could tell f/5(how?).
    Don't be, it isn't hard when you know how

You'll need an EXIF data reader add-on for your browser, these are far more readily available for Firefox, etc. than IE (Internet Explorer), but you can always just got to this website and link a web image, or one off your HDD and see the EXIF data.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Hi Rob,

This is a great image. Love the concept.

My only thought is that I would have liked to have been able to see the "tips" of the steps. Only a niggle.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Boy View Post
    This is a great image. Love the concept.
    I agree. Good strong lines. Well-defined shapes. Good textures. And a spread of tone.

The learning curve is being climbed successfully!

Real Name
    Rob

Hi all,

Thanks again for all the constructive advice and great feedback. The confidence to take more shots like these has grown, and I'm now looking at my subjects with an entirely new perspective. I hope I can get more like this one.

BR,
    Rob