Thread: Watch It!

Real Name
    John

Watch It!

Critique?

Watch It!

EOS 50D
    Manual, f/6.3, ISO 100, 1/100sec, 235mm, autofocus w/IS
    Last edited by jonjdoe; 22nd October 2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Added camera data

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Watch It!

Well John, the bird's expression made me laugh! It's a shame that the tail isn't in focus but I still like it.

Real Name
    John

Thanks for the comments, Frank. Made me laugh as well. I think I can coax him back into the yard. A little more depth of field for the tail focus? Perhaps f/8 or f/11?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by jonjdoe View Post
    Thanks for the comments, Frank. Made me laugh as well. I think I can coax him back into the yard. A little more depth of field for the tail focus? Perhaps f/8 or f/11?
    I'd kick the ISO to 400 or even 800 to get the f stop down to f8 or better and maybe the shutter speed up just a bit. It'll depend on the amount of ambient light available.

Real Name
    John

Thanks, Frank. I NEED this kind of critique!

Real Name
    Mike

Nice shot John..hawks and birds of prey (in general) make great subjects.

Unfortunately, as Frank pointed out the bird is not in focus, and at 235mm
    and f/6.3 it should be. Still, they move quick, faster than the 1/100th. Do you
    recall what your POF was?

Also, with the birds position in front of that yellow/orange/green tree, going
    higher on the f-stop would bring it into focus, which is likely not your goal.
    Tough location to shoot from, but I still can't understand why the AF didn't
    give you a sharper image at that distance..bird must have been moving at the
    time? I think Frank's on-target, as an ISO of 400-800 and a faster shutter
    speed (at the f/6.3) might just be the hot ticket.

Can't begin to tell you how many shots I've taken of birds, just to toss them
    in the bin due to one issue or another. Keep at it though, as that's the only way
    any of us ever learns..

Mike

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi John,

Frank and Mike have pretty much said everything I was going to say as it pertains to shooting, I'd support their advice and the 'numbers' suggested.

Watch It!
    I'll add that if this wasn't a huge crop and wasn't sharpened after you downsized to 1024px across, this one can be made sharper - while most of the softness is casued by the bird 'balancing' on the fence, the eyes can be sharper.

This is what I did from the jpg, what you can do from the bigger original should be better.

Watch It!

If you click the image and use Prev and Next, you can switch between them to see the effects easily.

What did I do? (this is what I did, probably not in an ideal order to be honest, but it seems to work)
    Applied to the bird only:
    Sharpen with UnSharp Mask (USM) at 150% amount, 0.5 px radius and 0 threshold
    Local Contrast Enhance (LCE) at 20%, 80px and 0 threshold
    Shift grey point in Levels dialog to 1.3
    On background only; burned down the highlights in background white spots a little

Not sure what PP software you have, I did this in Photoshop CS5, but it is equally possible in Elements (or others).

If working on a higher resolution original, the ideal numbers will be different from those I used, but regardless that, after you downsized to 1024px, any image needs a USM sharpen to make the most of it and I don't think you did that. Let me know if you need more info on this.

Cheers,

Real Name
    John

Thanks Dizzy, Dave. Great suggestions. Lots of crop (I need a longer lens). I'm using Elements 10; will try the suggestions for sharpening (can use the practice!). Dizzy: POF was the eyes, the dude must have flipped it's tail, eh?

Real Name
    John

Another angle on him. This one was over-exposed and got a fair amt. of pp.

Watch It!

Real Name

Another angle on him. This one was over-exposed and got a fair amt. of pp.

Watch It!
    I'm using Elements 10; will try the suggestions for sharpening (can use the practice!)
    Better, ok - give this jpg a final sharpen of 100%, 0.3 px with USM and re upload.

Real Name
    John

Again......

Watch It!

Real Name

Again......

Watch It!
    Better still John

I just looked at the EXIF for this one;
    1/40s on what I am guessing is a non IS lens of 235mm is really pushing your luck for camera shake and (regardless if it has IS) subject movement.
    f/6.3 not such an issue here, but lens may be sharper stopped down a bit
    iso 100 makes the images nice an clean for sure, important if you are cropping to get a good composition, but I think it might be worth going to 400.

235mm seems an odd focal length these days, is it an older model?

Cheers,

Real Name
    John

Thanks for your help, Dave. The lens is actually a Canon EF-S 55-250mm (in this case @ 235mm), f/4-5.6. Being the novice I am, and trying to learn to shoot in manual, I aimed and let the meter influence me to drop the shutter speed too low. This has been a great learning experience for me; the first time I've had knowledgeable people critique a shot. This is great encouragement and I will persevere!! Thanks for all of your help.