Thread: Help: Astrophotography equipment

Real Name
    Rob

Help: Astrophotography equipment

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good lens well suited to the astrography domain. Completely new to this area of photography, and have no Idea whats good or bad. Any advice regarding what to look for, or not to look for, would be most appreciated.

Camera body: Cannon EOS7D

Thanks in advance.
    Rob

Real Name
    John

Re: Help: Astrography equipment

This is a good place to start.
    http://www.astropix.com/BGDA/BGDA.HTM
    Last edited by McQ; 4th November 2011 at 10:14 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Rob,

You could also try the Astrophotography entries in the Tag cloud here at CiC

Cheers,

Real Name
    Steaphany

Rob,

Welcome to CiC, There is a lot to this subject and a lot already exists here on CiC in other threads.

Most importantly, no one will be able to answer your question unless you tell us what you want to photograph. Are you looking to image the Sun, Moon, planets, meteors, minor planets, comets, wide angle star fields, or deep sky objects ? Plus, even among these categories are many specifics that bring their own factors into the equation of what is necessary to capture images. Deep sky objects can be broken down into planetary nebula, near by galaxies, distant galaxies and galaxy clusters, globular clusters, etc.

Additional factors include your observing location, proximity to near by cities and light pollution, elevation, what portion of the spectrum you want to image. In post processing, you can work with single exposure or multiple, stacking to average out atmospheric turbulence, reduce noise levels, and tease out fine details.

Real Name
    Eduardo Ribeiro

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    This is a good place to start.
    http://www.astropix.com/BGDA/BGDA.HTM
    Shadowman, does the book cover the southern hemesphere too? It may be a silly question, but the sky here has different targets. Tks

Real Name
    Steaphany

Quote Originally Posted by eribeiro View Post
    Shadowman, does the book cover the southern hemesphere too? It may be a silly question, but the sky here has different targets. Tks
    South or North, the book addresses dSLR Astrophotography and how to achieve it, not specifically a catalog of observable objects.

Real Name
    Eduardo Ribeiro

Quote Originally Posted by Steaphany View Post
    South or North, the book addresses dSLR Astrophotography and how to achieve it, not specifically a catalog of observable objects.
    Great, tks

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by eribeiro View Post
    You can email the author if you have specific questions about your locale or look for an expert from your region who may have viewed the same objects you are observing.

Real Name
    Andrew

I can also recommend this book as well;
    http://www.nightskyimages.co.uk/maki...oton_count.htm

Real Name
    Ian

http://www.astrospace.co.uk/Home2.htm

Some useful uk info here

Real Name
    Mike

Hi Rob,

I would suggest that you hop on over to Astroholic.Com, and check out the work by Rob K.
    in "Deep Sky Objects". He is an outstanding imager with his Canon 400D, and recently posted a
    pair of gorgeous shots of the Milky Way. Being a good natured Aussie, I'm sure he would be glad
    to help with your questions. You may need to register to see the pics, however we have some
    of the top astrophotographers from around the globe as members, and there is no doubt you'll gain
    a lot of information just from reading past posts and asking any questions you might have:

http://www.astroholic.com/index.php

Mike
    Last edited by Dizzy; 23rd October 2011 at 10:57 PM.

Real Name
    Steaphany

For a great source for books on any and all aspects of astronomy and astronomical photography, check out Willmann-Bell Publishing

Real Name
    Rob

Thanks very much for all your advice. I now have a good direction and can't wait to get started.

Rob

Hi - My name is June, I am doing a course at my local college and finding it really interesting. I am going to Arizona in September, with a visit to Mount Lemmon Observatory planned. I understand you can use their equipment to photograph stars in the lovely clear desert air. Does anyone have any tips - I am looking at all sorts of sources of information about night photography etc but this is a bit more specific. Also, I understand there is an Observatory in Hertfordshire (I think) that offers similar access - does anyone have experience of this? I am a novice photographer trying very hard to improve my skills and knowledge but finding it a bit heavy going sometimes. All input gratefully accepted! I have a Canon 350D, with a growing selection of lenses - I intend to upgrade my camera when I am more confident, so may take a different camera to Arizona with me!
    Last edited by SoHopeful; 7th March 2012 at 07:51 PM. Reason: typo!

Real Name
    John

Hi June,

Welcome to the group. Are you saying that you can attach your Canon to their telescopes or will you just have a good observation point? If you are attaching your camera to their scopes then they should be able to provide you with the necessary accessories you will need. If you have access to only the observation area see if you are allowed to bring a tripod.

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by SoHopeful View Post
    Hi - My name is June, I am doing a course at my local college and finding it really interesting. I am going to Arizona in September, with a visit to Mount Lemmon Observatory planned. I understand you can use their equipment to photograph stars in the lovely clear desert air. Does anyone have any tips - I am looking at all sorts of sources of information about night photography etc but this is a bit more specific. Also, I understand there is an Observatory in Hertfordshire (I think) that offers similar access - does anyone have experience of this? I am a novice photographer trying very hard to improve my skills and knowledge but finding it a bit heavy going sometimes. All input gratefully accepted! I have a Canon 350D, with a growing selection of lenses - I intend to upgrade my camera when I am more confident, so may take a different camera to Arizona with me!

Hi June,

Do you know what kind of telescope they have available?

To learn about astrophotography, the best site I can suggest is
    Astroholic.Com. Many of the best planetary and DSO (deep space
    objects) photographers in the world are members there, and questions
    are always welcome.

Mike

Thanks for the interest - I will certainly try the site suggested by Mike (great CC quote btw). Will update as time goes on.

Real Name
    Hani

Re: Help: Astrophotography equipment

I used to take good astronomy photos with kodachrome and Ektachrome, although the long exposures caused Reciprocity issues. Anyway, I used to piggy back my Nikon on my refractor telescope with a Tamron 500 mm catadioptric lens. The telescope MUST have a right ascension motor in orden to keep your "target" relatively stationary. The internet is packed with information though and you should have no problems to get a good start with info and advice. Happy star gazing!

Real Name
    Mike

One of our site members (goes by Asimov) is a brilliant planetary imager,
    and there are few clear nights when he's not out imaging Jupiter, Saturn
    or Mars. He has given me permission to share his most recent image of
    Saturn, taken just 3 days ago. I've also included a complete listing of the
    equipment he used.

Image was taken from Bundaberg, QLD Australia, and John says this is one
    of his best ever.

Help: Astrophotography equipment

Equipment: Celestron 11" Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope (aka: SCT)
    Mount: Orion EQ-6 (in the US it is known as the Orion Atlas)
    2X Meade Barlow lens
    Imaging Source: DBK618 camera with an IR/UV cut filter installed
    Aligned & stacked in Autostakkert. 4000 frames stacked from 7000.
    Processing in Registax 6 & Paint.net.

Real Name
    Mike

Just ran across this link… Canon apparently tweaked the 60D with a new 60Da for astrophotography… click here..