Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Father and Daughter Goin' Fishin'

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Father and Daughter Goin' Fishin'

I had been trying to get wildlife and forgot (again, someday I'll learn) to reset the ISO down from 800 when I saw an opportunity to get this capture. Shot at 1/1000sec, f8.0, 125mm focal length.

Way too much grain but other than that, your thoughts and suggestions for pp or shooting next time?

Image reposted a bit warmer as per Geoff's suggestion.

Last edited by FrankMi; 22nd October 2011 at 01:41 AM.

Re: Father and Daughter Goin' Fishin'

Grain doesn't seem to be too bad, Frank, but I wonder if your white balance is a little on the cool side.

I would try tweaking it slightly towards the red side.

Otherwise, a good shot.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 21st October 2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Real Name
    Richard

Frank... This is a wonderful shot. I love how dad is intent on his fly rod while daughter is far more interested in the puppy. It is a shot that warms my heart...

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Grain doesn't seem to be too bad, Frank, but I wonder if your white balance is a little on the cool side.

I would try tweaking it slightly towards the red side.

Otherwise, a good shot.
    Thanks Geoff, I reposted the original a bit warmer.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Frank... This is a wonderful shot. I love how dad is intent on his fly rod while daughter is far more interested in the puppy. It is a shot that warms my heart...
    Thanks Richard. I had a chance to get several shots but, like you, felt this one had more of a human interest story to tell. I also think it's great that he takes his daughter fishing with him.

Real Name
    Mike

Hi Frank,

Great scene, no doubt..good capture!

I had a go at it with Lightroom, and this was the best I could do. Adjusted exposure, contrast,
    colors (reduced the orange), selectively darkened a couple over-bright areas, added some
    sharpening and luminance:

28wndwm-2.jpg

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dizzy; 22nd October 2011 at 05:41 AM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Since I'm doing 1000 this afternoon anyway, here's one more!

Real Name
    Steve

Pity this lovely trio got drowned in distracting surroundings and background. Colin's crop improved the composition immensely.

Real Name
    John

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    I had a go at it with Lightroom, and this was the best I could do. Adjusted exposure, contrast, colors (reduced the orange), selectively darkened a couple over-bright areas, added some
    sharpening and luminance:
    Hi Mike! thank you for taking the time to work on this image. First, as I am learning, some background thoughts, then, if you don't mind, a couple of questions. I'm not trying to be picky but rather just trying to understand the reasoning so that I can learn what to look for when making PP adjustments.

Here is the SOOC for comparison:

When I started with this image, I felt that the subjects were lost in the contrasty and jumbled background so after cloning out some brush and a fishing pole that was sticking out of his head, I increased the contrast and brightness of the three subjects and decreased the contrast and brightness of the background. Next I toned down some of the bright spots on the back of her jacket and pants leg, his shoe and pants leg, and parts of his shirt, hands and face. I was concerned about having them be too bright as I often go too far in luminance. Then, Geoff felt that the white balance was too cool and should be warmed, I picked up to just a hint on warming the temperature more toward the orange/red. I still have difficulty determining if the color temperature is too warm or too cool, LOL!

In your view, it needed more exposure, contrast and luminance. How do you determine how much? Is it just a personal taste or is there something I can use as a guide in this area?

I am guessing that the increased exposure and contrast would have pushed the bright areas too far and that's why you toned them down but I really can't see (other than the areas I had previously darkened) any difference.

It looks like the increases were made to the background as well which, too me, takes attention away from the subjects. Was this done this way because it is difficult to selectively change part of an image in Lightroom or did you have another reason?

By the way, you can play with tweeking any images I post any time you want. It is fascinating to see my images through the eyes of another photographer and I usually learn something new in the process.

Thank you for your patience with my questions!
    Last edited by FrankMi; 22nd October 2011 at 12:47 PM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Since I'm doing 1000 this afternoon anyway, here's one more!
    Hi Colin, thank you for looking at this and providing the edit. I see that you cloned out the fishing gear and cropped off the left side of the image. It looked like you picked up on the contrast as well. Would you have time to describe the changes made and more importantly, why you chose those changes? I would definately appreciate the insight into your thoughts!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by stg View Post
    Pity this lovely trio got drowned in distracting surroundings and background. Colin's crop improved the composition immensely.
    I agree, Steve. Outside of a studio setting, the uncontrollable is a constant issue to deal with, so learning how to mitigate these kinds of issues is one of the photography skills I'm trying to learn this weekend!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Colin, thank you for looking at this and providing the edit. I see that you cloned out the fishing gear and cropped off the left side of the image. It looked like you picked up on the contrast as well. Would you have time to describe the changes made and more importantly, why you chose those changes? I would definately appreciate the insight into your thoughts!
    My pleasure Frank, but it's 2:12am here, so if it's OK, I'll outline what I did when I've had a few hours sleep!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    My pleasure Frank, but it's 2:12am here, so if it's OK, I'll outline what I did when I've had a few hours sleep!
    LOL! Sounds like you've had enough dedication for one day! Thanks & nitey-nite!

Real Name
    Mike

In your view, it needed more exposure, contrast and luminance. How do you determine how much? Is it just a personal taste or is there something I can use as a guide in this area?
    I am guessing that the increased exposure and contrast would have pushed the bright areas too far and that's why you toned them down but I really can't see (other than the areas I had previously darkened) any difference.
    It looks like the increases were made to the background as well which, too me, takes attention away from the subjects. Was this done this way because it is difficult to selectively change part of an image in Lightroom or did you have another reason?
    By the way, you can play with tweeking any images I post any time you want. It is fascinating to see my images through the eyes of another photographer and I usually learn something new in the process.
    Thank you for your patience with my questions!
    Hi Frank,

No worries about the questions, and I'll do my best to give you decent answers..Father and Daughter Goin' Fishin'

I actually reduced the exposure by .22, and then added in some contrast, sharpening and used
    the luminance to reduce the noise I had created. If you look at the girls back in your first post,
    it was quite bright, so I darkened the back of her sweatshirt along with the area by dad's left
    ankle.

As far as a "method", I generally use a standard workflow with an image: Exposure and white balance
    (could not adjust white balance as it was set in the .jpg), then color temp, add any fill (or remove)
    as needed, then general contrast and brightness, followed by clarity, and at times a little bit of
    vibrance and saturation. Then, adjust sharpening (radius and detail too, if needed) and add slight
    luminance just to the point the noise is reduced. Adjust any colors that need toning down or enriched,
    and that's about it.

I took some time earlier today and re-worked what I had and applied a 1:1 crop to it, lightened
    up the puppy just a little to make him stand out a little better, and then applied a small bit of
    vignette:

28wndwm-3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    Hi Frank,

No worries about the questions, and I'll do my best to give you decent answers..Father and Daughter Goin' Fishin'

I actually reduced the exposure by .22, and then added in some contrast, sharpening and used
    the luminance to reduce the noise I had created. If you look at the girls back in your first post,
    it was quite bright, so I darkened the back of her sweatshirt along with the area by dad's left
    ankle.

As far as a "method", I generally use a standard workflow with an image: Exposure and white balance
    (could not adjust white balance as it was set in the .jpg), then color temp, add any fill (or remove)
    as needed, then general contrast and brightness, followed by clarity, and at times a little bit of
    vibrance and saturation. Then, adjust sharpening (radius and detail too, if needed) and add slight
    luminance just to the point the noise is reduced. Adjust any colors that need toning down or enriched,
    and that's about it.

I took some time earlier today and re-worked what I had and applied a 1:1 crop to it, lightened
    up the puppy just a little to make him stand out a little better, and then applied a small bit of
    vignette:

28wndwm-3.jpg
    Thanks for the feedback Mike. I guess I shouldn't have beet too concerned about the vibrance going a bit highter, it has more 'pop' that way. I had left the tackle bag in place to help tell the story but it looks like that wasn't needed which afforded a tighter crop.

I'll go back and play some more. Thanks!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Tried to incorporate Mike and Colin's suggestions. Somehow it never comes out the same, but, maybe it's acceptable.

Real Name

Tried to incorporate Mike and Colin's suggestions. Somehow it never comes out the same, but, maybe it's acceptable.

Hi Frank,

If you add a significant & broad vignette, it'll draw the eye beautifully in towards the main subjects.

It then gives the illusion that you lit the scene beautifully, controlling the light so that it only fell on your intended subjects

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Thanks, Colin. I'm guessing you used a large soft brush to reduce brightness?... or did you go with the burn tool?

Real Name

Thanks, Colin. I'm guessing you used a large soft brush to reduce brightness?... or did you go with the burn tool?
    Nah - that's the hard way

If you're using Photoshop, just pop into Filter -> Lens Correction -> Custom Tab -> Vignette. Or if you're using ACR, then just use the Vignette tool or (better still) the post-crop vignette adjustment on the Fx tab (it has better controls).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast