Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon 1Dx

Real Name
    Ali

Canon 1Dx

Hi Everyone,

Just did a search on the new Canon release and found no results. If I did it the right way (the search section of the Forum is really complicated) then this means this is probably the only forum where people are not excited about the new Camera!

I thought at least Colin would be very happy. I was thinking of buying it but now I am a bit concerned

Ali

Real Name
    Ian

re: Canon 1Dx

Ali,

Certainly seems a very capable top of the range camera that no doubt Colin will have two of .

In reality, after selling the car to afford one, it really is only the guys who make it pay that will be buying just yet unless they have won the lottery, and more importantly, its not going to make anyone a better photographer. Better pics, well its the glass on the front that really makes the difference and the eye and brain behind the camera.

I am quite relieved that CiC doesnt follow the pack.
    Last edited by shreds; 21st October 2011 at 12:33 AM.

Real Name
    Hero

I forgot who said it, but: "cameras don't take pictures, the person behind it does. Good gear just makes it easier"

Real Name
    Ali

Thanks, Shred and Hero.

I completely agree that just having the camera does not make you a better photographer. But something bothers me in this argument (I am going through the pre-buy justification period ). For some reason, this is usually said by those who already have a SLR. Using the same argument, you can just be a good photographer with a point and shoot, no need to upgrade to an SLR.

To me looks like the price is the issue. If I understand it correctly, the issue is that for the price it is not the most cost effective, because from personal experience (moving from Rebel directly to 5D MKII) a camera from a higher class gives you a lot more freedom and opens up a lot of possibilities that you just don't get with a camera from the lower class (cheaper!).

To me 1D X is not even that expensive (USD 6,800), since after about 3-4 years, you can easily sell it at a minimum loss if you keep it in a good condition. Of course, with the new feature on 1D X that easily shows the buyer the shutter count without the need to go to the Service center, that might not be as easy

Hero, this one is my favorite: You get the camera you can afford, there is not much choice!

Cheers!

Alis

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    Thanks, Shred and Hero.

I completely agree that just having the camera does not make you a better photographer. But something bothers me in this argument (I am going through the pre-buy justification period ). For some reason, this is usually said by those who already have a SLR. Using the same argument, you can just be a good photographer with a point and shoot, no need to upgrade to an SLR.

To me looks like the price is the issue. If I understand it correctly, the issue is that for the price it is not the most cost effective, because from personal experience (moving from Rebel directly to 5D MKII) a camera from a higher class gives you a lot more freedom and opens up a lot of possibilities that you just don't get with a camera from the lower class (cheaper!).

To me 1D X is not even that expensive (USD 6,800), since after about 3-4 years, you can easily sell it at a minimum loss if you keep it in a good condition. Of course, with the new feature on 1D X that easily shows the buyer the shutter count without the need to go to the Service center, that might not be as easy

Hero, this one is my favorite: You get the camera you can afford, there is not much choice!

Cheers!

Alis
    Hi Ali,

I think you must have missed the thread ...

Canon Shooters Might Be Interested...

I've been through the xxxD range - throughh to the xxD range - and then into the 1D range. At the end of the day, the photo you get out the other end probably won't look any different, but in my opinion, that's not what you're really paying for anyway (much the same as driving to work in a Toyota Starlet or a BMW still gets you there in much the same fashion).

Now that using the 1Ds3 is 2nd nature to me, I have to say that when I pickup something like a 5D2 it feels incredibly "toyish", and on top of that, the 1D range gives you things like "built like a brick" construction - full weather sealing - dual media - kick-a$$ AF - and many more firmware options. On the down side though, you would (will? ) find it very heavy/solid.

Personally, I wouldn't go back to a non-1D series camera for all the tea in China, but that may just be me.

PS: Good to see you back here!

PPS: 1Dx is already ordered

Real Name
    Ian

I dont think that until you have used a Pro level camera for a while that you would appreciate the differences. Most folk who are allowed to hold my Nikon D3 are shocked by its weight. It puts a lot of folk off. Equally in a similar way to Colin's comment, the smaller camera feels like a toy when you are used to the heavier version.

None of that subjectiveness matters to me. The Pro cameras are built like tanks for a reason. They are no longer the prized possession that is wrapped in cotton wool and carefully unwrapped to take a shot (see that all the time on photo club outings). They are merely a tool towards getting an image that sells, and it makes all the difference.

I have seen grown men cry when their prized possession drops out of their rucksac onto concrete with that resulting thud and cracking of glass. However, with these bigger cameras, you just generally pick it off the ground and carry on shooting. Thats what you are paying for!

A bit like I wouldnt swap the BMW for a Toyota Starlet!! (having owned both BMWs and Toyotas in the past)
    Last edited by shreds; 21st October 2011 at 08:22 AM.

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Ali,

I think you must have missed the thread ...

Canon Shooters Might Be Interested...

I've been through the xxxD range - throughh to the xxD range - and then into the 1D range. At the end of the day, the photo you get out the other end probably won't look any different, but in my opinion, that's not what you're really paying for anyway (much the same as driving to work in a Toyota Starlet or a BMW still gets you there in much the same fashion).

Now that using the 1Ds3 is 2nd nature to me, I have to say that when I pickup something like a 5D2 it feels incredibly "toyish", and on top of that, the 1D range gives you things like "built like a brick" construction - full weather sealing - dual media - kick-a$$ AF - and many more firmware options. On the down side though, you would (will? ) find it very heavy/solid.

Personally, I wouldn't go back to a non-1D series camera for all the tea in China, but that may just be me.

PS: Good to see you back here!

PPS: 1Dx is already ordered
    Thanks, Colin! I missed that link. As I said the search feature is so complicated, it needs a thread of its own.

What you described about 5D MKII is exactly what happened to me even before owning a 1D. Just playing with the 5D MKII since 2009 made me want something different but not another 5D MKIII. I remember the huge different it made moving from Rebel to 5D MKII and that is what I am craving for right now. I am wondering what will happen when I go to 1D and there is not higher option available if one does not want to go to medium format (even that is not exactly what I like to have).

But how did you order it? Pre-ordering has not started anywhere yet as far as I know. I have seen hand-on videos of the camera from an exhibition in NZ on YouTube but did not know you guys can already order it. May be that is the benefit of living close to Japan?

And I have been around pretty much all the time, my favorite hiding space is sort of gone on the forum if you know what I mean and that is why I just come and read.

But to be honest, for a while for hobby I turned to video and Final Cut Pro and iMac and that keeps me busy these days. Video is fun! But I managed to go on an assignment (leftist one ) which I posted here:

Occupy Boston

C
    heers!

Alis

Real Name

Hi Ali,

I've missed our little chats; I'm guessing you were probably only visiting the super-threads (which I hardly ever looked at)?

I'm trying to think of a good analogy to describe how a 1 series feels compared to a pro-sumer model. I think that perhaps it's a bit like a formula 1 car compared to your average family saloon; there's no doubt that the F1 car has superior performance, but everytime you want to start it you have to pre-heat the oil for 1/2 hour (because the engine is basically seized until you do, due to the fine tolerances) - it has to be plugged into a laptop computer to start, and takes a team of about 4 people just to start it. So their performance is breathtaking (literally - apparantly the cornering forces are so great that it can be hard to breath, and they're pulling up to 5.5g under braking) - but they're not a "fun" car to drive around the streets on a Sunday afternoon. Same with the 1D - its solid and heavy; if I have a paid shoot going down then as soon as I pick it up I'm thinking "OK - time to get down to business" ... but (unfortunately) if it's just a "wander around the park with the kids" then it's the same solid brick. Having just said all that I don't necessarily mind it (to me it's worth it), but none-the-less, it's still not a "fun to drive" type camera on those occasions. I don't think I'm explaining it very well, but best I can do first thing in the morning!

With regards to ordering ...

The way it works in these parts is "Hi Paul - guess you've heard about the 1Dx - can you please send me an invoice for 10K and put me on the list", which is exactly what happens. Here in NZ (and I suspect elsewhere too), Canon have a "pecking order" whilst stocks are limited. Probably no more than 10 will be allocated from the first batch to New Zealand, of which 2 will go to Auckland City Cameras, 2 will go to Progear - 1 will go to Photo & Video etc ... so the trick is to be "in the good books" of one of the biggest dealers (which I am). I've even been told of the Canon rep ready to "tear his hair out" due to all of the pressures that the dealers put on them trying to "buck the system", but the reality is that they don't have ANY control over it. I asked my man to tell him from me that "I don't mind people jumping the queue and getting preferential treatment ... so long as I'm one of them!"

PS: The search feature here has a few limitations - it helps to remember to click on the left of the 2 tabs each time (so it doesn't try to do a multi-media search), but you still need to have a minimum number of letters for it to work (just too many small words to be able to index them all, although specific words like 1Dx can be added) (I'll mention it to Sean if I remember, although he's very busy rolling out the new look at the moment).

I'll go take a look at your video now

Edit: No video - great set of "left-leaning" shots though
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 21st October 2011 at 08:33 PM.

Real Name
    Ali

Thanks again Colin. I think you actually explain it very well. I have followed your advice in the past (cost me a lot of course) but I never looked back.

Now, for me and all the people who may be thinking of buying this new one, any concrete good reasons to upgrade? That would be very nice since I have to defend myself at home to pay a lot of money for something I have not never put my hands on. I can easily afford it. Just need to justify the cost!

A lot of things I can imagine will improve for me going from 5D MKII to 1D X but those I know from the reviews of the new camera. I need someone who has been using it to tell me regardless of the hassles and the cost, what I will gain. We have time so whenever you or others get a chance would be nice

Thanks!

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Ali,

I've missed our little chats; I'm guessing you were probably only visiting the super-threads (which I hardly ever looked at)?
    Yes! It was a quiet nice little place mainly because I am lazy and boring. Most of my pictures are the pictures of my son and there is no way I can post them over and over again in a independent thread. But as you can see I got out and did some different photography. Speaking of which,

Edit: No video - great set of "left-leaning" shots though
    Yes, no video just pictures. I actually took some footage but mainly I went there to shoot pictures.

Even with this, people were suspicious and kept asking me who I am working for and why I am taking close ups of people's faces. Some of them after seeing me taking their pictures joked that "was that for my FBI profile?" or "FBI already has my picture on file" etc. And at least one of them was serious. Asked me the same question and told him don't you think this is a stupid question because if I was working for FBI and I was trying to hide it would i tell you the truth? But I guess my accent told them that no one from FBI would hire me and I could feel that they felt better as soon as I started talking

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    Even with this, people were suspicious and kept asking me who I am working for and why I am taking close ups of people's faces. Some of them after seeing me taking their pictures joked that "was that for my FBI profile?" or "FBI already has my picture on file" etc. And at least one of them was serious. Asked me the same question and told him don't you think this is a stupid question because if I was working for FBI and I was trying to hide it would i tell you the truth? But I guess my accent told them that no one from FBI would hire me and I could feel that they felt better as soon as I started talking
    Actually, this can play into the hands of a 1D shooter, using the dual media capability ... you can set the camera to record the same shot to both cards, but you can only tell the camera to view shots from 1 card at a time; so if anyone is "uncomfortable" about you taking their shot you can just "delete" it right before their eyes, and still have another copy