Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Enniskillen, NI

Enniskillen, NI

Some shots I took last weekend, any C&C encouraged. Larger versions available on my Flickr (link in sig)

Enniskillen, NI

Enniskillen, NI

Enniskillen, NI

Enniskillen, NI

Enniskillen, NI

Re: Enniskillen, NI

Awesome pics Mossy. I think #4 and #5 are my favourites. They look really surreal. How long were you out shooting for? Must've been all night?

How do u get haze free region of the sky near horizon ? is it location dependent...i thought atmospheric distance increases so haziness is there !

you used polarizing filter for #4 and #5 ?

Beautifull shots !

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

A good series Mossy,

I like #1 best I think, but wondered about a square crop losing the left hand side? - Just an idea.

#2 is good too, although I'm not sure the grass/reeds on right help - I'm trying to imagine a version with them cloned out.

I can't make up my mind if #5 is just a tad low on the right (horizon wise, and compared with #4), it's not much though and/or may be an optical illusion caused by the clouds.

Good effort, worth getting up for,

Thanks for the comments guys, really appreciated.

All the shots are from a Tokina 12-24. Not much done aside from a little white balance and curve work in LR2.

The photos are in reverse chronological order, with the first three from the morning, and the last two from the night before. I was trying to get a decent sunrise, but the mist over the lake removed any chances of that.

#1 - I do have a version cropped down, but I felt that the sun, horrifically overexposed as it is, would dominate too much. Wish I had an ND filter...

#2 Thanks for the tip Dave, I cloned out the weeds and it did help. I guess I originally thought they'd emphasise the calm effect, but it does look messy.

I was pleasantly surprised by #3, it looked a bit cyanotype when I opened it, and instead of correcting the WB I just left it. I have a cropped version that centres the boats more, but it seemed that the vignette almost framed the scene.

The last two are from the night before, I got good light from the sunset, particularly off the clouds. Just as well, since it rained pretty hard in the afternoon. That might be the reason why there was no haze, plus it's quite a rural area, so little air pollution. No polarisers, I can't afford a thin mount 77mm one right now, saving up for a set of decent NDs...

I'm not sure if #5 is indeed lower, Dave, but there is no straight horizon as such, since you can see all the banks in the photo, and the geography affects the skyline...

Nice shots Mossy. Was the water that still or are you using long exposure and ND filters. I want to learn how to do that any links or advice on camera settings are most welcome.

The water really was that still, I didn't have my tripod with me and don't own any NDs, something I'm trying to rectify... I think for long exposure water shots, I'd ask Colin, his shots look amazing...
    Last edited by Mossy; 16th April 2009 at 07:25 PM. Reason: clarification

With No. 1, I would like to have seen the pontoon leading more towards the left, into the picture centre. Perhaps a bit of a crop of the left hand side, as Dave suggested, would be a big help. Try a 5 x 4 ratio to start with.

But in all honesty, we are nit picking on what is an excellent set of photos.