Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Abraham Lincoln Statue

Real Name
    Mike

Abraham Lincoln Statue

On last week's motorcycle trip, stopped at the President Lincoln Museum in Springfield Il. and at sunrise took some snaps of the Lincoln bronzes in the square next door. Heres one…

Abraham Lincoln Statue
    Lincoln at sunrise by Michael VerVelde Photography, on Flickr

1/400, f/9, 50mm, iso 400

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Re: Abraham Lincoln Statue

Mike, nice shot! Curious, are you using any polarizers, and why the 1/400 shutter? Would like to learn a bit from this pic...

Real Name
    Darlene

Mike,

This is a lovely shot.

I am a big fan of Honest Abe and you did a wonderful job a capturing the statue. The light is very nice in defining the contours of his face. His face was very distinct from my observation.

Any possibility you took a photo of just the head? I would love to see more.

Thanks,
    Darlene

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ddp4me View Post

Any possibility you took a photo of just the head? I would love to see more.
    Thanks Darlene… yup, I did take another. What I was trying to get at this was how Abe was kinda watching over the country with the flag in the background on a clock tower… I agree the contours on his face with the sunrise colors make it nice. However Im not sure if the flag and tower in the background are too distracting and take away from the face?

Abraham Lincoln Statue
    Lincoln in the square, next to Lincoln Presidential Museum & Library, Springfield, Il by Michael VerVelde Photography, on Flickr

Real Name
    Mike

Here's another angle

Abraham Lincoln Statue
    IMG_2295 copy by Michael VerVelde Photography, on Flickr

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoRob View Post
    Mike, nice shot! Curious, are you using any polarizers, and why the 1/400 shutter? Would like to learn a bit from this pic...
    Thanks Robert- I did not have a polarizer on the lens for these shots. I was playing around with the settings and when I got to the square, the sun was lower in the horizon, behind a building so it was a little darker. I had it set to Aperture Priority mode, set it for f/9 for sharpness. The camera picked the shutter speed. As it was darker, I started at iso 400 as the image at that time seemed to look better on my screen as I was adjusting the settings for these shots.

Sometimes Im get so caught up in trying to get a good composition that I sometimes forget to change the settings as the light changes… Probably could have changed the ISO to 200, but the image still looked good from the screen. Any advice on the settings?
    Last edited by Harpo; 19th October 2011 at 12:03 PM.

Real Name
    Toño

I like the third better.
    About the second, maybe there is not enough of the tower in the scene so it looked as you wanted to. The face itself looks great.
    Did you tried cloning out the tower and flag?
    Toño

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by acsky View Post
    I like the third better.
    About the second, maybe there is not enough of the tower in the scene so it looked as you wanted to. The face itself looks great.
    Did you tried cloning out the tower and flag?
    Toño
    Tono- I thought about it. Ill try that later when I get some errands done today Good suggestion. The clock tower building looks nice below that pic, but the power lines going across really take away from it. Ill have to review my pp on photoshop (still trying to learn it) and play with cloning out some things from pics on this trip.