Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fan Foel and the Canon 5D Mk2

rob marshall

Fan Foel and the Canon 5D Mk2

Climbed Fan Foel (810m) in South Wales yesterday, and thought I'd lug the 5D up to the top!

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=51....m=LMLTCC<br />

The intrepid mountaineer takes a break...

This was near the top of the ridge, and is a 5-shot panorama stitched in CS5.
    Last edited by rob marshall; 16th October 2011 at 10:05 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Fan Foel and the Canon 5D Mk2

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Climbed Fan Foel (810m) in South Wales yesterday, and thought I'd lug the 5D up to the top!

This was near the top of the ridge, and is a 5-shot panorama stitched in CS5.
    Spectacular image Rob. Not bad weather for Wales either !

Cheers Dave

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Not bad weather for Wales either !
    If you pick the right days there is nowhere better. Trouble is there are not many 'right days'.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Rob I meant to ask - was there a particular reason for stitching 5 photos and were the joins vertical ? The shape of the image is such that it could be done with one shot I would have thought ? Not that I can see any stitching marks.

Dave

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Rob I meant to ask - was there a particular reason for stitching 5 photos and were the joins vertical ? The shape of the image is such that it could be done with one shot I would have thought ? Not that I can see any stitching marks.

Dave

Dave

I was testing different functions with the camera. I did a static shot (the BW) a stitched (the pano), and I shot a video on the summit, but I can't post that here, I'm afraid.

Also, the 5D is full frame and although I had a 24-105L lens on it, I had trouble getting everything in and I was not able to step back. The full image from a single shot of the 5D is 5616x3744 (21MP), but this pano came out after cropping as you see it at 7071x4733 (33MP). That gives you great resolution. The size before cropping was aboit 44MP.

2000 px version...

Fan Foel ridge, South Wales by rob marshall images, on Flickr

rob marshall

I've made some changes to my YouTube account, so I can post the summit video now. I meant to shoot an in-line still while I was filming, but I forgot to do it. I'm sure it works though. I used an ND grad on the lens as the sky was bright, and it's made the sky a nice blue.