Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Grand Canyon, Arizona, North Rim

Real Name
    Richard

Grand Canyon, Arizona, North Rim

Canon 30D with 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens at 55mm. ISO 100, f/8 @ 1/20 second, CPL Filter, Giottos MT-8180 Tripod.

Grand Canyon, Arizona, North Rim

Real Name
    John

Re: Grand Canyon, Arizona, North Rim

Very nice. I've seen the South Rim and I hear that the North Rim is the treacherous side.

Real Name
    Richard

The South Rim is more built up with more viewing areas. The North Rim is only accesible in Late Spring to early Fall. We visited there at the beginning of October and there was already some snow. Unfortunately when we visited the North Rim, the Forest Service was doing a controlled burn near the South Rim and the Canyon itself was obscurred by the smoke from the burn.

We visited the North Rim as part of our trip to Southern Utah. You really need to plan a Fall trip there carefully. It is usually best to start in the North and travel South because the weather gets colder and snow is more possible in the North. The aspen trees also begin to turn earlier in the North than they do in the South.

Southern Utah has a plethora of absolutely beautiful places within relatively easy driving distance. We based our RV in Panguich, Utah and visited Cedar Breaks, Red Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Kodachrome basin. We then traveled south (actually we took a detour and traveled North and then east and then South) and spent a day at the Kolob Canyon Entrance to Zion National Park and then spent two days at the main Zion Park Entrance.

We plan to go back there when time allows and wander about further North and East to Arches National Monument and other places.

Except for Yosemite National Park, California. Southern Utah has some of the most photogenic areas I have ever visited.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    The South Rim is more built up with more viewing areas. The North Rim is only accesible in Late Spring to early Fall. We visited there at the beginning of October and there was already some snow. Unfortunately when we visited the North Rim, the Forest Service was doing a controlled burn near the South Rim and the Canyon itself was obscurred by the smoke from the burn.

We plan to go back there when time allows and wander about further North and East to Arches National Monument and other places.

Except for Yosemite National Park, California. Southern Utah has some of the most photogenic areas I have ever visited.
    My trip was one of those day excursions from Las Vegas, with a stop through Williams, Arizona and Hoover Dam. It was midday by the time we got there so lighting wasn't exactly perfect but I got a few good shots. That was my first thought after seeing the beauty of the Canyon, I have to come back and see it from the other side.

Real Name
    Richard

IMO, the secret of photographing the Desert Southwest is to have plenty of time so that you can catch the landscapes at the best time of day. The problem with photographing the Desert Southwest is the long distances between points. Often, when you are on a limited time schedule, this means that you visit locations at less than optimum times for photography. Then all you can do is shoot and hope...

I had that problem visiting Kodachrome Basin State Park in Utah. Our visit was just a side trip from Bryce Canyon and I only had a short time there and not at the best time of day. I hope to spend the evening camped there someday so that I can catch the color changes early in the morning and late in the afternoon/evening.

Richard,
    your picture is really beautiful!
    I have to keep in mind as a master piece!