Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: memory card

Real Name
    Jackie

memory card

Hi all,
    As I'm taking my pictures,I sometimes delete as I go along.Now when I go to Rite aide to print them, I can see the deleted picture(big red circle with a slash in the middle).I called Canon and they suggested that I change my card.I did this.Still the same thing.I'm shooting in RAW. Would that have anything to do with it?
    So I have to delete the deleted pictures before I download them on my computer.Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Jackie

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: memory card

Hi Jackie,

Bit of a strange one. Technically, deleting an image doesn't delete it - it just tags the file as being deleted and marks the space that the file uses as now being available to be over-written, but it's surprising that the software at Rite Aide is able to see that.

Without knowing any more detail, I'm guessing that this is a "feature" of the Rite Aide software - perhaps designed to assist people who delete images accidentally?

Real Name
    Jackie

Thank you anyway.I might just buy a new memory card and try to delelte pics and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by gardenqueen View Post
    As I'm taking my pictures,I sometimes delete as I go along.
    I am new to digital cameras but I have used PCs for a loooong time. Personally I never 'delete' as I go along when working with my CF cards.

As Colin said, deleting a file doesn't actually delete anything, all that happens is that the sectors that the 'deleted' file are occupying are marked as free and thus the next time something is written to that part of the disk those sectors are overwritten with the new file. Since the new file is almost certain to be a different size to the deleted one either the new file is split across two (or more) locations on the disk or it leaves some space (which may or may not fit the next file to be written).

Modern storage like CF & SD cards may be much more 'robust' than ye olde 3.5" floppy disks but they are still far from infallible and file fragmentation is a possible source of file corruption.

To ensure my files suffer from minimal file fragmentation I only ever copy files from my card to another storage device. To 'delete' them I will reformat the card in camera so that the entire card is marked as free and new files will always be written to contiguous free space.

Over cautious maybe but I've not lost any files yet.

Ken

Real Name
    Trev

Do you have the protect images option switched on? it may be that