Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: BLack and White images taken with Nikon D7000

Real Name
    Erik

BLack and White images taken with Nikon D7000

Hi All,

I want to first apologize as I have not yet gone through comparisons. Though, I would not know how anyways. Here is my question:

When taking a monochrome photo with a Nikon D7000 the image is actually in color when I transfer to the computer via Aperture or iPhoto. If I use Nikon software then the image remain B+W.

I've had two teachers tells us that when taking B+W shoots, do it in camera as the end result will be better (better tonal range). Well, how to I test the tonal range between having Photoshop CS5, iPhoto or Aperture do a conversion versus using the Nikon software.

Thanks,

Erik

Real Name
    Mark

Re: BLack and White images taken with Nikon D7000

Quote Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
    Hi All,

I want to first apologize as I have not yet gone through comparisons. Though, I would not know how anyways. Here is my question:

When taking a monochrome photo with a Nikon D7000 the image is actually in color when I transfer to the computer via Aperture or iPhoto. If I use Nikon software then the image remain B+W.

I've had two teachers tells us that when taking B+W shoots, do it in as the end result will be better (better tonal range). Well, how to I test the tonal range between having Photoshop CS5, iPhoto or Aperture do a conversion versus using the Nikon software.

Thanks,

Erik
    Hi Erik,
    When I want to go to black and white I shoot always in colour then use Nik SliverEfex Pro2 this really is an amazing Plugin for photoshop CS5 for converting to black &White with huge possibilities.Check it out!
    Mark.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Erik

There is more than one question in what you are asking.

First of all, and with respect to them, your teachers are wrong. What you set your camera at makes no difference at all. The fact is that you are capturing Raw data. And you are capturing all the data when you shoot in RAW. It is irrelevant what you have your camera set at.

I happen to have mine set to Monochrome, because I like to see the camera's interpretation of the scene. I can see this on the camera screen and make decisions based on that. But this does not alter the fact that I am capturing all the data, including the colour information.

The second point you raise is about how you then see that on your computer screen dependent on which software package you use.

Like Canon, the Nikon software is matched to the camera. So, if you have captured the data with your camera set to Monochrome, then that is what you will see when you open it with the Nikon software. But all the colour data remains. On the software Edit toolbar, there will be 'Picture Style'. This offers you a drop down list of options, including probably, 'Landscape', 'Neutral', 'Faithful', 'Portrait', 'Monochrome'. Choose any one of these and you can change how the RAW data is displayed.

Because Aperture and IPhoto are not matched to your camera in the same way, they do not recognise that you had the camera set to Monochrome. So they just display all the Raw data, including the colour information.

I am then not sure of your final point - How do you test the tonal range?

How you create your final image from the Raw data that you have captured, is totally up to you. It is not the software that will decide the tonal range. It is you. I do not know any of these software packages, but am sure each is capable of allowing you to create exactly the same range of tones in a final image.

Real Name
    Erik

Thanks Mark and Donald.

Donald, I believe I understand what you are saying in regards to me being in control of the tonal range I wish to capture. I will need to return to my teacher to get clarification on what she means by "tonal range" and how to test or compare.

Erik

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)