Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Guardian Angel

Real Name
    Rhonda

Guardian Angel

I was moved to take this picture after my stroll through downtown. Once I downloaded the picture to my computer I noticed the outline of a face on the trash bag she was laying on. Let me know if anyone else notices the face. My boss saw a bird outline I would also like to receive thoughts on the overall composition thanks in advance.

Guardian Angel

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Guardian Angel

Rhonda

A great idea and good on you fro having seen the shot.

I found that it took me a moment to register what I was looking at. I wonder if a tighter crop around the lady would focus more attention on her and less upon the bench that she's lying on and the background? I don't think we need to see the whole becnh for teh story to as powerful as it is; i.e. we would still know that this was a person sleeping on a bench.

So, I'd be tempted to take off that border and have another look at it to see how the best composition could be brought out.

For me, the obvious 'angel' with wings stretching backwards is in that yellow area behind her.

And I also think I would try a tighter crop. In fact I would probably remove the right side bench arm totally.

Real Name
    Rhonda

Thanks for the feedback and after going back to the editing board this is what I came up with, I see now what difference it makes cropping down more on just her. What are your thoughts on my revised photo?

Guardian Angel

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

YES! I think so anyway. That's a much stronger image. You've now got yourself a good social documentary. Next thing I'd wonder is what it would be like in B & W? Would taking out the distraction of the colour give it more punch? Or is the colour of her blouse an integral element in the image? And I suppose the answer to those questions comes down to what story you want this image to be telling.

rob marshall

Rhonda

It's a good setting/scene you have here. But there are several problems, as I see it.

I think it would have been better had you positioned yourself more to the left and got the lady's face in more. There is too much going on in the background, which I do find distracting. Also, BW would have worked better. The colours in this are rather vivid and distracting.

Real Name
    Rhonda

Rob I was waiting to cross the street at a crosswalk and just took out my camera and shot the photo while I was waiting. I will try it out in Black and White to see the difference. Thanks for the feedback gentlemen!

I just wonder if you have cropped slightly too tight now, Rhonda, and lost the context of the scene.