Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Kayla @ the Park II

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Kayla @ the Park II

Just a few more, if anyone's still looking!

Kayla @ the Park II

Kayla @ the Park II

Kayla @ the Park II

Kayla @ the Park II

Kayla @ the Park II

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

Re: Kayla @ the Park II

Colin you keep it coming. These are great as well. The 3rd one does it for me in this set. If that Mom and sister, Dad is going to have issues with the boys running around his house.

Real Name
    Ric

great stuff mate, Im still grumbling that I had to work that day

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Colin you keep it coming. These are great as well.
    Ditto what Sam said. A superb set.

And this, for me is just outstanding. A wonderful set-up. Lighting is brilliant. Tones are gorgeous. God, you must have a wonderful camera!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Kayla @ the Park II
    Last edited by Donald; 11th October 2011 at 08:21 PM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Smith View Post
    Colin you keep it coming. These are great as well. The 3rd one does it for me in this set. If that Mom and sister, Dad is going to have issues with the boys running around his house.
    Thanks Sam, although (and I could be wrong), but I don't think Dad hangs around anymore

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Ric View Post
    great stuff mate, Im still grumbling that I had to work that day
    Hey Ric,

That's 2 out of 2 you've missed so far!

Work ... it's the curse of the drinking class! (or so they say!)

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Ditto what Sam said. A superb set.

And this, fro me is just outstanding. A wonderful set-up. Lighting is brilliant. Tones are gorgeous. God, you must have a wonderful camera!!
    Thanks Donald,

Yeah ... wouldn't have got any of these with a Nikon

Real Name
    Al

Yeah, we're still looking.
    And looking...
    And looking....

IMO, #3 is the real winner in this set. #1 is very nice, but just can't compete with the relaxed pose and expression of #3. #2 might have taken the prize if Kayla had just the slightest hint more of a smile. I really want to like #4, but a bit too much hair hiding the face, unfortunately. I know this a personal quirk, but I've never been a big fan of posed group shots, so #5 doesn't do much for me. I know group shots are popular, and often a must-have for paid shoots, but as far as I'm concerned, any time there are more than 2 people in a shot, those people really ought to be doing something other than just posing for the camera. (OK, I'll make an exception for 2 parents and a small child.)

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Snarkbyte View Post
    Yeah, we're still looking.
    And looking...
    And looking....

IMO, #3 is the real winner in this set. #1 is very nice, but just can't compete with the relaxed pose and expression of #3. #2 might have taken the prize if Kayla had just the slightest hint more of a smile. I really want to like #4, but a bit too much hair hiding the face, unfortunately. I know this a personal quirk, but I've never been a big fan of posed group shots, so #5 doesn't do much for me. I know group shots are popular, and often a must-have for paid shoots, but as far as I'm concerned, any time there are more than 2 people in a shot, those people really ought to be doing something other than just posing for the camera. (OK, I'll make an exception for 2 parents and a small child.)
    Thanks Al,

I should bring you along to a shoot so you can tell me all these things BEFORE I take the shot

Real Name
    Al

Thanks Al,

I should bring you along to a shoot so you can tell me all these things BEFORE I take the shot
    Unfortunately, I always tell myself things like this... AFTER the shot. But you've definitely got a deal if you're willing to advise me before I shoot; I'd win out on that deal by miles and miles.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Snarkbyte View Post
    Unfortunately, I always tell myself things like this... AFTER the shot. But you've definitely got a deal if you're willing to advise me before I shoot; I'd win out on that deal by miles and miles.

To be honest, I pick up on a lot of "would have been nice" things after every shoot, but the reality is there's only so much that can be controlled at the time - usually I'm too darn busy thinking lighting - texture - pose - composition - exposure - focus - lunch (ie just the usual!) - so smaller parts (expressions etc) are often in the lap of the gods.

Real Name
    Remco

To be honest, I pick up on a lot of "would have been nice" things after every shoot, but the reality is there's only so much that can be controlled at the time - usually I'm too darn busy thinking lighting - texture - pose - composition - exposure - focus - lunch (ie just the usual!) - so smaller parts (expressions etc) are often in the lap of the gods.
    You can actually 'direct' expressions? Not meaning the 'give me a smile' or 'just relax' kind of direction (the latter being especially nice...), but finer details, and that without getting them looking all artificial/cramped/forced?

I must say, that #3 now is a bit 'spoiled' for me by the visible make-up (after the exchange in the other "Ayla @ the park" thread)

Remco

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by revi View Post
    You can actually 'direct' expressions? Not meaning the 'give me a smile' or 'just relax' kind of direction (the latter being especially nice...), but finer details, and that without getting them looking all artificial/cramped/forced?
    I do my best to get them smiling and laughing, but alas, I'm a better photographer than I am comedian

For this shoot, Kayla's Mum was there, so I delegated "get her smiling" duties to her. For some subjects this comes easy - for Kayla, not quite as easy - but we got there

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    God, you must have a wonderful camera!!
    LOL@Donald!

FWIW, I think #3 is GREAT (I know how Colin loves for a series like this to be 'rated', )

Real Name
    Jeannie

My fave is #2 and #1 is very pretty and artistic...just don't like leather jackets. Of course, you don't get to choose the client's clothing I am sure. Number 3 is very nice, but I just can't get used to the trend of cutting off heads. Wish I had your knowledge and expertise Colin.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    LOL@Donald!

FWIW, I think #3 is GREAT (I know how Colin loves for a series like this to be 'rated', )
    Hi Brian,

Luckily, the client thinks they're ALL great

Always makes me smile when people come visit me at my studio -- they always like to point out "which ones they like" ... the irony is that I like ALL of them, or they wouldn't be there

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by rosapearl View Post
    My fave is #2 and #1 is very pretty and artistic...just don't like leather jackets. Of course, you don't get to choose the client's clothing I am sure. Number 3 is very nice, but I just can't get used to the trend of cutting off heads. Wish I had your knowledge and expertise Colin.
    Hi Jeannie,

I like to know in advance what they're going to wear, but I pretty much leave it up to them (they know what they look good in, and as I see it, it's my job to work with that to produce the best result.

With regards to "cutting off heads", it's done all the time these days; I guess because it's really the face that we want to see (and it's position in the frame is also very important).