Thread: Capture One Pro Software vs NIK Complete

Real Name
    Jack

Capture One Pro Software vs NIK Complete

Hi folks, I am trying to decide on post-processing software and was wondering whether anyone has experience with Capture One Pro from phaseone software. I am currently using Aperture 3 and am looking at Capture One vs adding NIK complete package to Aperture 3. Any opinions or experience would really be appreciated. Thanks, Jack

Real Name
    Ian

Re: Capture One Pro Software vs NIK Complete

Jack,

Hi and welcome to CiC.

You have obviously been looking at some pretty competent software, although nowadays most do a pretty good job.

I use Capture One with Media Pro for most workflow solutions, but being a Nikon user I love the ease of the Nik products. Nothing CS5 cant handle, just different and in my view the Nik products seem to do a better job first time. Perhaps because the products mesh well together.

May also be why they are available nowadays as plugins to CS5 too, they are seen by more than just the Nikon community as good.

I have used and compared CS5, Lightroom, Aperture, NX2, Capture One, Gimp and have to say that Capture One is a good all rounder but unfortunately with all these products they have their plus and minus points.

Real Name
    Ian

Sorry, forgot to say that C1 does not catalogue like Aperture and you need Media Pro alongside to act as your library system, but it integrates well and I would recommend it.

Real Name
    Jack

Thanks Ian. I, too, am a Nikon user, albeit a true amateur. Most of my time has been spent shooting and learning the craft of photography, behind the lens. I've now gotten to the point where I would like to do a little more with my images. Started out with iPhoto and moved up to Aperture because I shoot a lot in RAW. I read several places about Capture One and thought it might be an improvement over Aperture. Also, have read how many people like the NIK software. So, my quandary. Aperture with NIK or Capture One and ?. Your input is most appreciated. Regards, Jack

Real Name
    John

Jack - I can't comment on Aperture because I haven't used it. I do have most of the Nik products as plugins to CS5 and think they are excellent. They are intuitive and I think that most people can come up to speed quickly. Some of the Nik products work differently in some of the host programs so make sure there aren't any issues with Aperture. I don't think you will be disappointed with the Nik products.

John

Real Name
    Ian

I can't say that there is anything fundamentally wrong with Aperture and it is a nifty bit of software. Most leading brands can produce the same result, albeit with differing degrees of ease and time spent. However, I do find that comparing like with like, Capture One and Nikon software are pretty much on a par, although the Nikon software is probably easier to use.

I would actually put Adobe much further down the list given its exorbitant pricing and difficulty for new users, but when you add the Nik plug ins at least it is easier for new users. Plus the fact that as industry standard, it is difficult to be without for some jobs.

I suppose we end up with a marginal debate about the relative qualities and a bit like the Mac v PC will run and run.

I still like Capture One for its quality and especially their customer response/helpline which leaves Adobe back in prehistoric times.

Real Name
    Jack

Thanks Shreds. I noticed that you linked NIK software with Nikon as a previous writer. Is there a direct association between NIK and Nikon? I certainly share your opinion about Adobe support. I am not "married" to Aperture and still just trying to sort out what kind of post-processing software will best suit me. I shoot both RAW and JPEG, mostly streetshooting, landscapes, and anything else other than sports.

Real Name
    Jack

Excuse me Shreds, I forgot to ask. What is your impression/opinion of GIMP?

Jack

Real Name
    Richard

I attended a presentation bythe NIK folks (who are located in San Diego). The gentleman who gave the presentation was a master with this set of software and the results were very impressive.

Real Name
    Mark

I have the Nik complete software kit. It is excellent. I can do almost all the stuff in CS5 but it wouldtake 10 times longer. It basically uses automatic or user generated presets to generate a layer adjustment. I use it together with CS5 to fine tune my shots. I don't like their sharpener pro (but having said that, I don't really know how to use it properly). I was hoping to use it mainly for output sharpening.

Real Name
    Tyler Berge

I use NIK software for editing my photos and I am very impressed. I use Viveza 2, Dfine 2.0, HDR Efex pro, Silver Efex pro, and Sharpener. My favorite one is Viveza 2. It uses selective color so if you want increased saturation in the sky which is blue, it will only increase the blue in the sky within the circle. I use NIK softwares on photoshop cs5 on windows 7. So I am not on an apple. I would rather use it on a Mac but I can't afford it. I would say go with NIK software. It is very neat and if you do it right, your photo will be amazing as long as you shoot in RAW.
    I have never used capture one pro so I can't compare.

Real Name
    Jack

THANK YOU, MARK. GOING TO GIVE IT A TRY! Regards, Jack

Real Name
    Jack

Thanks, Tyler. Looking forward to using it.

Real Name
    Jack

Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful comments. As I indicated, I have purchased the NIK complete package and expect to start using it next week. Regards, Jack

Real Name
    Ian

Hi,

Sorry for not answering the questions posed.

GIMP - fabulous for the price and if I hadnt already got the other software, it might be my full time PP. Like all the others it has its plus and minus points, but I do like it and dont think it particularly hard to pick up.

Nik software if I recall correctly, is largely now owned by Nikon who took a stake in the company some years ago, but they do seem to operate independently, probably so as not to alienate the users of other brands. Based in Germany.

Real Name
    Jack

Ian, Thanks. Several people suggested some sort of relationship between Nikon and NIK and I was curious. My question about GIMP was because a few Mac users in a photo club meeting complained about GIMP on a Mac but I can't remember the specific complaint other than something about x11 (?). Regards, Jack

Real Name
    Ian

Jack

Whilst I am a Mac user, for some reason I have only ever used the GIMP on Windows machines. Not quite sure why as I rarely use the Windows machines for PP. I might give it a go and see what happens.

Real Name
    Jack

Hey Ian,

I've decided to download GIMP and give it a go. As you can probably deduce, I'm really trying to find my way in post processing. Kind of fun really. Just received my NIK software, so lots to do. Thanks for your help, Jack

Real Name
    Jack

Thought I would share this with those of you who helped me. I installed the NIK software and my Mac crashed! Don't know what happened, yet. Life is interesting. Regards, Jack