Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Really Right Stuff L-Plate (L-Bracket)

Real Name
    Richard

Really Right Stuff L-Plate (L-Bracket)

I have just purchased a used RRS L-Bracket for my 7D. I found it on eBay while researching Arca Compatible Plates to answer a question from a previous poster. I had been hesitant to get the L-Bracket for my 7D both because it is quite expensive (but, was considerably less expensive on the used market) and because I often use a hand strap on the 7D.

I enjoy using a hand strap but also like to carry the camera on a neck or shoulder strap as well as being able to mount it on a tripod.

One end of the hand strap I used on my 40D connected to a bracket which screwed into the tripod socket of the camera and the other end connected to the strap lug at the top of the right side of the camera. Left to right descriptions are from the shooters point of view.

This means that, although the hand strap works fine; I cannot attach a shoulder or a neck strap because one of the attachment lugs is used for the hand strap. I also cannot mount the camera on a tripod or use a standard (pre-7D) L-Bracket.

The L bracket for my 7D has an innovation, dual strap lugs. One is at the bottom of the right side of the L-bracket which allows my hand strap to be secured to the bottom of the L bracket and to the top right camera lug.The bottom left side of the bracket also has a lug so that a neck or shoulder carrying strap can be attached to both the bottom left of the L-bracket and the top left camera strap lug. That way the camera will hang down from the strap in the vertical position.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...ut-grip&key=it

Of course, with this setup; the camera can be mounted on a tripod in either the portrait or the landscape position using the Arca Compatible dovetail mounts.

The screw which attaches the L-bracket to the camera is in a slot, rather than a fitted hole. This way the camera can be moved slightly to accomodate any cables when I am shooting in the portrait position on a tripod.

The two strap lugs and the screw slots are extremely simple innovations but, ones which make my L-bracket easier and more pleasant to use than are the RRS L-Brackets I have for my 30D and 40D cameras...

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Really Right Stuff L-Plate (L-Bracket)

Hi Richard,

Ever given any thought to purchasing a Spider Holster?

I had a very weighty 1Ds3 + EF70-200mm F2.8 IS USM II hanging off mine yesterday - was 100% pure joy. Perfectly comfortable - very secure - and left 2 hands free to carry other stuff.

Real Name
    Richard

Yes I have seriously considered it. In fact, I did a photo shoot recently with a guy who was using a Spider Holster and it looked great. My problem is that I have recently acquired a rather ample belly and belts have become a problem for me. Wearing a pistol belt with weapon, magazines and several canteens of water was fine when I was a "lean hard jungle fighter" but, I would need a set of suspenders to help keep the Spider Belt around my middle and that is just too much equipment.

The OPTECH Dual Harness suits me fine. It is light weight and keeps the weight supported by my shoulders. Additionally, my belly doesn't matter when I am using the Dual Harness. I have solved the "swinging camera" problem by attaching a carabiner clip to either my belt loops at either hip or the side adjustment straps of my photo vest (if I am wearing one). I clip my camera strap with the carabiner which keeps the cameras at my side...

I did another shoot with a guy who was using a Cotton Carrier and that would work for me. The problem was the attention this guy attracted while walk around shooting.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Richard,

Sadly, my waistline isn't what it used to be either! For what it's worth though, the Spiderholster more or less sits on my hips (a lot like a revolver in the old western movies).