Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Rain

I am so tired of rain. I shot this wide open to take advantage of the very shallow DoF. I was interested is creating bokeh. I hope I have created something pleasing.

shot with 7d and 70-200 2.8 lens. Aperture priority, 1/125, f3.2, ISO 2000.

Rain

Please tell me what you think?

Thank you for looking and commenting.

Marie

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Rain

Hi Marie,

Just a quick note before I head off to bed. Are you aware of a little screw-on filter called a "Canon 500D Closeup Adaptor) - it turns the 70-200 into a psudo 1/2 macro lens by letting you focus between about 30 & 50cm from the end of the lens - can be pure magic for shots like this (and is relatively inexpensive).

Real Name
    Marie Hass

Are you aware of a little screw-on filter called a "Canon 500D Closeup Adaptor) - it turns the 70-200 into a psudo 1/2 macro lens by letting you focus between about 30 & 50cm from the end of the lens - can be pure magic for shots like this (and is relatively inexpensive).
    Colin, I was not aware. Thank you so much for that! I will check it out today.

Marie

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Marie Hass View Post
    Colin, I was not aware. Thank you so much for that! I will check it out today.

Marie
    No worries

This is the one you're looking for ...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_up_Lens.html

Real Name
    Jim

I have one of those Colin but have never been able to get a shot in focus with it - what am I doing wrong.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by jambin View Post
    I have one of those Colin but have never been able to get a shot in focus with it - what am I doing wrong.
    No idea Jim

All I can think of is "remember that the focus range is only about 30 to 50cm from the end of the lens - can't focus any closer or further away. Also, you'll need a amall aperture for a lot of things (high F-Stop number). Tried manual focus?

Real Name
    Jim

Thanks Colin. Manual focus ? With my eyesight I can hardly find the camera. I'll give it a gp.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by jambin View Post
    Thanks Colin. Manual focus ? With my eyesight I can hardly find the camera. I'll give it a gp.
    Hi Jim,

I know the feeling -- my eyes need constant "windshields" these days

You shouldn't need manual focus though - my camera focuses just fine in auto.

Real Name
    Marie Hass

Good morning to you, Colin.

I pursued the lead you gave me. New World Videos offer the lens for $133, US - but - it is manufacturer back ordered until some time in December. NWV offers Digital NC +10 as an option at $99 US. I am thinking I should wait for the Canon lens. Canon offers this lens at $220 US - but also on back order. I can try ebay, but I am hesitant to buy that way.

Marie

Real Name

Good morning to you, Colin.

I pursued the lead you gave me. New World Videos offer the lens for $133, US - but - it is manufacturer back ordered until some time in December. NWV offers Digital NC +10 as an option at $99 US. I am thinking I should wait for the Canon lens. Canon offers this lens at $220 US - but also on back order. I can try ebay, but I am hesitant to buy that way.

Marie
    Hi Marie,

Good afternoon / evening to you!

Sounds like there's a bit of a shortage of the 500D

Can't say I've heard of the "Digital NC +10", so can't really comment on it. Other than that, all I can suggest is "shop around" (or buy a macro lens!)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Marie,

Just a quick note before I head off to bed. Are you aware of a little screw-on filter called a "Canon 500D Closeup Adaptor) - it turns the 70-200 into a psudo 1/2 macro lens by letting you focus between about 30 & 50cm from the end of the lens - can be pure magic for shots like this (and is relatively inexpensive).

Thanks for the info Colin. I have a Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom AF Lens. Would one of these kind of things still be good on that do you know? ............... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Lens-C...7853169&sr=8-3

Regards,

Dave
    Last edited by Skyline; 6th October 2011 at 08:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Thanks for the info Colin. I have a Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom AF Lens. Would one of these king of things still be good on that do you know? ............... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Lens-C...7853169&sr=8-3

Regards,

Dave
    Hi Dave,

I don't know for sure, but in theory, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work -- after all, it's really just like a set of "reading glasses" for the lens.

Real Name
    Marie Hass

Colin, just FYI.

There are no reviews on off brands of the Canon 500d. I am not in a screaming hurry. I will wait for the Canon brand close-up lens to come off backorder.

Have a nice day,

Marie

Real Name

Colin, just FYI.

There are no reviews on off brands of the Canon 500d. I am not in a screaming hurry. I will wait for the Canon brand close-up lens to come off backorder.

Have a nice day,

Marie
    Thanks Marie,

Another option is to look at using some extension tubes (I'd recommend a 25mm one for the 70-200) - it too allows you to get closer, but at the expense of not being able to focus to infinity.

Happy to provide some links if you need.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Looking at this shot, I'd recommend cloning out a few small things and blurring all but the primary in focus rain drop.

HTH,

Real Name
    Bobo

Most rain shots are presented hard and harsh. I like the soft treatment.

About close ups. I get very decent results with an extension tube attached to the zoom. AF can be picky at times but that is more my being too close and stepping back fixes it. IMHO, 30-50mm outdoors is cutting it too close.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Dave,

I don't know for sure, but in theory, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work -- after all, it's really just like a set of "reading glasses" for the lens.
    Cheers Colin.

Real Name
    Marie Hass

Sorry everyone. I have been out of the loop. Colin, I have been working with my 18-55 kit lens and closeup kit while waiting to order the 77mm Canon close-up lens. I think I am getting the hang of it. Let me ask if I am right - I increased the f stop to a higher # based on the degree of magnification. ie., if I was using a 4X, I used something akin to f8 - I did not need as high of an f stop as my 10X closeup lens, where I would go to f 11 or better.

Does this sound right? Thanks to all who spend the time to comment.

Marie

Real Name

Sorry everyone. I have been out of the loop. Colin, I have been working with my 18-55 kit lens and closeup kit while waiting to order the 77mm Canon close-up lens. I think I am getting the hang of it. Let me ask if I am right - I increased the f stop to a higher # based on the degree of magnification. ie., if I was using a 4X, I used something akin to f8 - I did not need as high of an f stop as my 10X closeup lens, where I would go to f 11 or better.

Does this sound right? Thanks to all who spend the time to comment.

Marie
    Hi Marie,

Sorry - but I'm a bit confused by what you're asking (about apertures). Basically "bigger the number = smaller the hole = greater depth of field". I don't think of it in terms of magnification. Why not just do some experiments and see what works for you?

Real Name
    Maja or Molly

Hi Marie,

I have a set of the screw on close-up adapters for Nikon. They do work great, just as Colin suggests. Mine are an off-brand and were inexpensive and I am very happy with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast