Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Morning Coffee

Real Name
    Reed

Morning Coffee

I was on Kelby's World Wide Photo Walk on Saturday. This was my favorite shot of the day. Looking for C&C.

Morning Coffee

I ran him off. After I took this the guy got up and walked to the back of the shop. There are more from the walk in my Flickr album.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Re: Morning Coffee

Hi Reed,

This is an interesting shot. The point of focus in this shot is the coffee mug sign right above the guy who ran away
    I like the perspective but I was just wondering how it would have turned out with focus on the guy himself.
    I would love to read what you & others have to say on this.

Also, how did you feel when that guy ran away like that. Embarrased, guilty, Proud

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Reed,

It must have been an interesting and informative walk indeed. I wold have enjoyed it myself.

I agree with Sahil here, I would like to see the shot with the focus on the guy. Not sure which would work best but I am inclined to think the guy in focus would add another layer of depth to the shot.

I am also confused about the right hand side of the image. I am not sure it adds anything and think a tighter portrait crop would have worked better. I keep looking to right to try and find some reason to include it but keep coming back to the left.

I hope this helps and not confuses the issue.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I'm not so sure about the point of focus moving from the sign to the guy. Be interesting if we had been able to compare.

Like Peter, I'm also not sure about the right hand side. I think maybe the vertical part of the window frame, cutting up through the frame as it is, is really forming a right hand side birder to the image and what's to the right of it (especially as it's not really lit by lamps on the inside) is lost.

You've maybe seen that I'm in a 'square phase' at the moment and the first thought I had about this image was ... square. Keep the tree and keep the window frame as strong side supports to the action that's going on in the middle of that square. It's one idea to think about.

Real Name
    Reed

You're right, the right side did kind of bother me. So how about portrait?

Morning Coffee

About the focus, it was a quick shot, as I said he wasn't in a mood to pose. I think I like the way the focus is though. It kind of makes him more of an "anybody" rather than one specific person. If that makes sense.

Real Name
    Darlene

I like it much better!

I really like the focus on the sign and not the person (I think it's a woman, not a man).

Anyway, the daydreaming look is very nice and the lack of focus enhances that idea. The red frame and the tree just add icing to the cake.

As you can tell, a wonderful shot in my book, Reed.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Waters View Post
    So how about portrait?
    Oh yes! That takes us right into the shop, but as outside observers. That's now a super image.
    Last edited by Donald; 6th October 2011 at 07:08 AM.

Real Name
    Peter

As they say in the calssics - yes! yes! yes!

Now the focus on the sign is just right. I do like this and agree with Donald we are now looking in from the outside on an intimate scene.

Real Name
    Reed

Wow, people from around the world likes my image.

Thanks for the comments. I knew there was a good shot there trying to get out.