Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon 8 - 15mm fisheye

Real Name
    Mark

Canon 8 - 15mm fisheye

I spent the weekend fiddling around with the new Canon 8 - 15mm L fisheye.
    This must be the coolest lens I have used. It really is a fun lens, allowing the user to play around with various distortion effects. Build quality is top notch. Its a funny looking lens. The front element is essentially a dome shaped protective cover. No front filter here boys (and girls), so protecting it from scratches is a real issue. At 8mm on a full frame sensor it gives a true 180 degree circular image. A real clunky feature is that the lens hood has to be removed to use it at anything less than about 12mm on a full fram camera. I haven't tried it on my 1d IV yet.

Canon 8 - 15mm fisheye
    15 mm indoor shot - takes in a 6 x 6 m room side to side and top to bottom. At least 30% of this image has been cropped away.

Canon 8 - 15mm fisheye
    close up view of a lily - I had to clone my feet out lower left.

Canon 8 - 15mm fisheye

A real natty lens. I can't wait to really have a go at some decent shots with it.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Canon 8 - 15mm fisheye

Hi Mark,

Looks really cool

I've been keeping 1/2 an eye on them, but didn't think they were shipping yet. Did you get it in NZ or B&H?

Real Name
    Richard

A great use for a fisheye lens like this is to place it on the ground, looking up and trip the shutter with a self timer. It can provide some really wild effects...

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Mark,

Looks really cool

I've been keeping 1/2 an eye on them, but didn't think they were shipping yet. Did you get it in NZ or B&H?
    Hi Colin

Bought it locally from Photo Warehouse. Was $1500US from B&H. With the falling NZ$ and shipping, GST etc, local price was about the same. I've been looking at them for a while, but everywhere I asked they siad not available here yet. I was surprised to find one on the shelf.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Markvetnz View Post
    Hi Colin

Bought it locally from Photo Warehouse. Was $1500US from B&H. With the falling NZ$ and shipping, GST etc, local price was about the same. I've been looking at them for a while, but everywhere I asked they siad not available here yet. I was surprised to find one on the shelf.
    Hi Mark,

So about $2.2k NZD?

Might have to give it some serious thought now that Apples new "iPhone 5" is a total fizzer (I'm depressed - need retail therapy!) (I was looking forward to an iPhone 5!).

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Interesting shots Mark,

It does indeed look like fun

Cheers,