Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: monochrome

Real Name
    Pat Brennan

monochrome

hi all ,i took this photo in colour and converted it to monochrome some thing that i never tried before. would love some feed back.

gougane-barra-2.jpg

Regards pat
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Donald; 3rd October 2011 at 01:03 PM.

Real Name
    Ian

Re: monochrome

Pat,

I like the way the low cloud takes out the top of the shot, nicely contains it.

Is it my eyes as its been a long day, but could the pic need squaring up, as the water from the lake is dripping onto my keyboard?

The reflection is gorgeous and the positioning of the building is spot on.

Real Name
    Flavio Andrade

This photo was taken in black and white, trying to understand how monochrome works. Appreciate your comments.
    Last edited by Flavio; 3rd October 2011 at 01:15 AM.

Real Name
    Surinder Singh

Well captured...

Real Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Flavio View Post
    This photo was taken in black and white, trying to understand how monochrome works. Appreciate your comments.
    Flavio

Not sure I understand what you mean? Monochrome is 'black and white'. What has been done is shooting in colour and then converting in PS or similar presumably to alter it to a B&W picture. (in effect de-saturating the colour from the shot, although B&W conversion isnt just a straight desaturation. I am sure the technos on here can explain it better!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Pat,

To straighten something like this;
    when editing, overlay the grid and ensure that (in this case), the apex point of the building exactly aligns with its own reflection below - i.e. they are both on the same grid line.

If you're using one of the straighten tools that normally works for horizontal horizons when you click, drag and click again, try holding the Ctrl key down and you should find it works for verticals, handy for reflection shots like this.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by pat brennan View Post
    hi all ,i took this photo in colour and converted it to monochrome some thing that i never tried before.
    Welcome to the club. Great fun isn't it?

And, my compliments. You have made a very good job of that for a first-timer. Or, I should say, you've made a good job of it (full stop). How did you do it?

For me the skill (which I'm still trying to perfect) lies in 'seeing' the B & W image in the first place. Not every subject makes for a good final image. This is one of those that certainly does.Got the key elements of a good tonal range, good lines, strong textures and good shapes.

Well done Pat. Keep it going.

Quote Originally Posted by Flavio View Post
    Flavio

Ian's comment are correct. When holding a photography discussion in the English language, we use the word 'monochrome' and the phrase 'black & white' to mean the same thing. So some people say 'monochrome' and some people say 'black & white'. But they are speaking or writing about the same thing.

The important thing to understand is that if we are shooting in RAW, as opposed to JPEG format, then we are not 'shooting' in either colour or black & white (monochrome). All we are doing is capturing all the data in the file that we create. It is later, in post-processing, that you either retain the colour information in the image that you make and make a colour picture, or you do not retain the colour information and therefore make a black & white (or monochrome) picture.
    Last edited by Donald; 3rd October 2011 at 02:30 PM.

Real Name
    Flavio Andrade

Hi all, you are right I am just making some confusion on terms, I understood that we are talking about same thing here monochrome and black and white.
    The photo was takes in black and white, but not in RAW. What I am trying to understand is the ideal light for taking black and white pictures, and how to use the contrast between shade and light when taking these kind of pictures.
    Thanks for you comments.

Real Name
    Pat Brennan

hi all, thanks for your comments,here is a version that i straightened ,thanks to Dave Humpheries for advice on how to do it. Donald all that i did to photo was desaturate in acr some dodge and burning and sharping in elements 9 regards pat

gougane-barra-3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Donald; 8th October 2011 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Image inserted inline

Real Name
    Lexie

hi all ,i took this photo in colour and converted it to monochrome some thing that i never tried before. would love some feed back.
    hi Pat,

that is a lovely picture, has a very calm and serene feeling about it. Where was the picture taken? It looks as if it is somewhere in Ireland or Scotland?
    I am in the same position as you at the moment regarding monochrome - I am studying photography and this week's assignment is B&W, so I have to find the best way to convert from colour pictures. I found this site while looking for tips and techniques on how to do this most effectively and oh boy, was this a great find So much to read, so many helpful tutorials and lots of friendly people with advice to share.

regards,
    Lexie

Real Name
    Pat Brennan

hi Lexie, glad you liked the photo .It was taken at a place called Gougane Barra Co Cork, Ireland early one very dull morning.regards pat

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    When holding a photography discussion in the English language, we use the word 'monochrome' and the phrase 'black & white' to mean the same thing. So some people say 'monochrome' and some people say 'black & white'. But they are speaking or writing about the same thing.
    I should probably add (just to add to the confusion) that technically, these are greyscale - technically, B&W contain only 2 tone levels, and technically, monochrome can contain colour -- just so long as it's only 1 colour!

(crawling back under my rock now!)

Real Name
    Lexie

It was taken at a place called Gougane Barra Co Cork, Ireland early one very dull morning.
    hi Pat,
    glad to see I haven't lost my touch at identifying locations There's just something distinctly Irish/Scots/Celtic about the building style and location at the edge of the loch. I'm originally from Scotland, now in NZ and really do miss the old stone walls and buildings of home.

Lexie

Real Name
    Marcus

Hi Pat,

very nice shot! The mist creates a very dense atmosphere - perfect for B&W picture, well done! I enjoyed it very much. A pity that the surface of the water was not absolutely still for a perfect reflexion.

Real Name
    Ahmed

Hello Pat,

Good Job ! It is a very beautiful shot. If you don't mind, I did some processing to the picture to look as follows:

monochrome

How do you like it? I used Picasa to adjust the filling light and image sharpness. The shadow of the trees and hut are more clearer now. Also, little more details on the background trees appear much better. What do you think?

Rgds
    Ahmed

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed Shahat View Post
    Hello Pat,

Good Job ! It is a very beautiful shot. If you don't mind, I did some processing to the picture to look as follows:

monochrome

How do you like it? I used Picasa to adjust the filling light and image sharpness. The shadow of the trees and hut are more clearer now. Also, little more details on the background trees appear much better. What do you think?

Rgds
    Ahmed
    Hi Ahmed,

I'm afraid that the high-frequency detail is a bit over-sharpened now (ie the frosting on the foliage and bricks). It's often hard to get good sharpening on a low-resolution shot; probably about the most it'll stand would be about 75% @ 0.4 pixel.

monochrome