Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: It was a long summer...

Real Name
    Al

It was a long summer...

This chewed-up, worn-out leaf caught my eye, just barely hanging from a single, nearly invisible spider strand. Not exactly the "perfect autumn leaf" shot, but I thought it had a story to tell. C&C always appreciated.

It was a long summer...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: It was a long summer...

I like it. But one question.

Why did you go for the aspect ratio that you did? I wondered if there was a bit of 'extra' space top and bottom that wasn't necessarily needed. If you cropped just about 1/2 in (10-12mm) below the lowest part of the leaf and made it a 1:1 (square) image - how would that look?

Real Name
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Why did you go for the aspect ratio that you did? I wondered if there was a bit of 'extra' space top and bottom that wasn't necessarily needed. If you cropped just about 1/2 in (10-12mm) below the lowest part of the leaf and made it a 1:1 (square) image - how would that look?
    Thanks, Don, that's a good question. I looked at a 1:1 aspect when I was cropping, but it lost much of the sense of "just barely hanging by a thread". To me, at least, that long thin, barely visible thread added to the story that I wanted this shot to tell. A small bit of the spider strand was still visible in the square-crop version, but the fragility was lacking. Maybe I missed the mark here, but that was part of the story to me, anyway. Thanks for your comments, as always.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I agree with the top and bottom edges where they are, in fact I'd even suggest losing 5% off the right hand side.

(I'm not one for fixed ratios I'm afraid because I rarely print)

Real Name
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I agree with the top and bottom edges where they are, in fact I'd even suggest losing 5% off the right hand side.

(I'm not one for fixed ratios I'm afraid because I rarely print)
    Thanks for the comment, Dave. I think you're probably right on this call. I made no attempt to crop this to any standard ratio for printing... just adjusted the crop until it seemed "about right". I didn't want the leaf too close to center, so I probably left a bit too much on the right.