Thread: Upgrade from Nikon D60?

Upgrade from Nikon D60?

I am shooting with a Nikon D60 and want to purchase a second camera to have one for backup purposes. I also don't like having to change lenses in the field and having two units will help with that. Have read reviews on the D3100 and D7000, but am still uncertain whichnway to go. any suggestions?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Upgrade from Nikon D60?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalimah View Post
    I am shooting with a Nikon D60 and want to purchase a second camera to have one for backup purposes. I also don't like having to change lenses in the field and having two units will help with that. Have read reviews on the D3100 and D7000, but am still uncertain whichnway to go. any suggestions?
    Hi Kalimah,

I'd say D7000 (if you can afford it) because that is an upgrade, the D3100 is just the modern D60 level camera.

The D5100 is in between, so it is a bit of an upgrade, but it has the same lens compatibility issues as the D60 and D3100, with all three you must to buy AF-S lenses to get working Auto Focus, with a D7000, you could extend your lens choices to "AF" and "D" series lenses.

Cheers,

Hey Dave,

Will my current D60 lenses work with the D7000? Your work is awesome! I have an 18-200mm lens, 50mm, the 18-55mm kit lens that came with the camera and a 55-200mm that someone gave me. One individual said I should get a 300mm or greater lens. Is it worth it to buy a 70-300mm? I'm not trying to spend a lot of money on equipment, especially if I can learn to get great shots with what I have.
    Last edited by Kalimah; 1st October 2011 at 11:03 PM.

Real Name

Hey Dave,

Will my current D60 lenses work with the D7000?
    Yep

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Kalimah,

Opinions will vary on this, but ...

1. Is the D60 so unreliable and/or the images that you're capturing so important that you have to carry a backup? (are you shooting weddings or professional sports?)

2. With regards to changing lenses in the field, I'm reminded of a time when I was learning to fly small aeroplanes and I said to my instructor "I don't like trimming the plane during a turn", to which is reply was "well get used to it, 'cause that's just the way it is" (and I did) ... and I think the same goes for changing lenses in the field. I do it all the time - and yes, some dust does eventually work it's way in and onto the sensor (but that's going to happen regardless). I also don't like sensor cleaning - but that too is just a fact of life that I have to do 2 or 3 times a year. If I had 2 cameras with me at all times - personally - I'd be more concerned about them banging in to each other and damaging something.

Just my 10c worth!

Hey Colin,

The wedding and party photos are pretty important, and the d60 has not proved to be unreliable so far. Guess I could get use to changing lenses....if I must. I appreciate your input. Based on the lenses I have...any suggestions?

Any suggestions on lenses Dave?

Real Name

Hey Dave,

Will my current D60 lenses work with the D7000? Your work is awesome! I have an 18-200mm lens, 50mm, the 18-55mm kit lens that came with the camera and a 55-200mm that someone gave me. One individual said I should get a 300mm or greater lens. Is it worth it to buy a 70-300mm? I'm not trying to spend a lot of money on equipment, especially if I can learn to get great shots with what I have.
    Hey Kalimah,

You added to the post after I answered the first question and caught me out!

I do like my Nikon 70-300mm*, whether it is worth you buying one depends how often you shoot at 200mm and wish you could zoom even closer?

* in fact it tends to stay on the camera for 80% of the time for what I shoot; birds at a distance.

Thanks for compliment too.

Cheers,

Real Name

Any suggestions on lenses Dave?
    The answer above covers it really, surely you're the best person to know which focal lengths you need, once you know that, then we can talk more detail.

I know for example that I'd like a wider angle than 18mm and I am considering the AF-S 10-24mm, it being within my price range. However, I'm more in need of a pocket P&S so that is my next intended purchase (Canon S100).

I'd love some of the faster lenses (wide, normal and telephoto), but the prices (and often weight) go up alarmingly. I really cannot justify over 2 grand on a lens when my car is worth less! (and I use that every day, unlike the lenses)

I don't know what you want to shoot, so advising say 10-24mm over 70-300mm is tricky

Cheers,

Dave,

I enjoy shooting birds and animals from a distance (like at the zoo) and it just seems liken the 200 doesn't get the results I want.

Real Name

Dave,

I enjoy shooting birds and animals from a distance (like at the zoo) and it just seems liken the 200 doesn't get the results I want.
    Longer still would be nice especially for wild or small birds, but this is when the D7000 would be a definite advantage, because the options for AF-S lenses for D60/D3100/D5100 are expensive.

I find the 70-300mm is a useful addition, but it does perform better at f/8 than f/5.6, so using a higher iso is needed to maintain a sensible shutter speed for wildlife.

Cheers,

Thanks Dave and Colin for your input. You both have given me lots to consider. I'll keep shooting and investigating as I go along. Eventually the purchase I need to make will be a no brainer.

Real Name
    John

Thanks Dave and Colin for your input. You both have given me lots to consider. I'll keep shooting and investigating as I go along. Eventually the purchase I need to make will be a no brainer.
    I own the D60 and each of lenses you either have or are considering. The 70-300mm gets the images I want 99% of the time and if I could I probably would have gone for the 80-400mm but at a price of $1,500.00 compared to the cost of the 70-300mm at $550.00 and not knowing if I needed the extra focal range opted for the lower cost lens.

Real Name
    Ian

I certainly would put my money into the glass rather than a second body in your situation. They also tend not to be superceded quite as regularly by the latest model.

What I would do is either hire or borrow the lenses prior to purchase, to avoid an expensive mistake. At least it will focus you to use it intensively to see if it is worthwhile and someplaces give a discount if you buy the lens you hired.

Either way, I wouldnt rush into it, but dont rely entirely on reviews as they are not specific to your usage. Of my collection of lenses who would have thought that the 14-24mm would be the most used and the 105mm micro would produce such outstanding results.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I own the D60 and each of lenses you either have or are considering. The 70-300mm gets the images I want 99% of the time and if I could I probably would have gone for the 80-400mm but at a price of $1,500.00 compared to the cost of the 70-300mm at $550.00 and not knowing if I needed the extra focal range opted for the lower cost lens.
    Also, bear in mind the 80-400mm won't Auto-Focus on the D60 (or D3100, D5100, etc.) bodies.
    One reason to go for a D7000, or a D90, if still available as old stock.
    But D7000 plus lens = 2.5k

Real Name

Very wise

Thanks Shadowman and shreds...and thanks again Dave. You all have been a great help! I'll keep you posted as I move forward in this photographic journey.