Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Currumbin C&C please

Real Name
    Mark

Currumbin C&C please

These pics are from a trip to Currumbin beach on Wednesday morning. I had two goals being to get a better feel for the 7D and to try to not overcook the post processing (which is something I think I'm usually guilty of).

C&C more than welcome.

7D, Canon 24-105 L @ 24mm, ISO 100.

Consider this a control shot. It is the unprocessed JPEG from the RAW+JPEG shot below. AWB, Picture style = Faithful
    Currumbin C&C please

The same image processed from RAW.
    Currumbin C&C please

Currumbin C&C please

Currumbin C&C please

Currumbin C&C please

Currumbin C&C please

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Currumbin C&C please

Nice series Mark.

I find when shooting a sunrise or sunset the warmth of the shot causes the auto WB to add blue to neutralise the colour. Auto WB is generally ok but it struggles when you have mixed light sources like you do here. The sun is a direct source and everything else is lit by the indirect light reflected from the blue sky above the clouds.

I find when you want to record the colours you are seeing then Daylight is a better setting. Here the colours of the sunrise would punch more and you would lose the blue cast in the water from indirect light reflected from the sky above the clouds. In fact, I would probably have shot this using the Cloudy setting. One great benefit of shooting in RAW is you can go back and change it in post processing.

Getting the WB correct saves a lot of time trying to manipulate colour corrections.

Looks like you are having fun with the new camera.

Real Name
    Paul

Nice work, I think you are meeting your goals quite well. Not seeing anything overdone. If nothing else I would say you could go a little further without going to far. Not that I see the need.

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

I have to say nice shots. The last one is the one for me.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Mark

Nice set of images. I dont think you've overcooked them with pp. The second last one is my favourite.

The only concern I have is you seem to be getting that shiny new 7D a bit too close to the waves for my liking !

I've seen a few of your shots from Currumbin - its a good setting for sunrises - I must have a go myself there sometime.

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    The only concern I have is you seem to be getting that shiny new 7D a bit too close to the waves for my liking !
    This image courtesy of a rogue wave heading my way. Must have snatched the camera a split second before the shutter closed.

Currumbin C&C please

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by whited3 View Post
    This image courtesy of a rogue wave heading my way. Must have snatched the camera a split second before the shutter closed.

Currumbin C&C please
    Looks like a close shave ! You should have posted this image along with the others - that "sun trail" would have had us guessing