Thread: Lens Hoods

Lens Hoods

When would you use a lens hood. All the time, only when it's sunny, not indoors, if you are on full zoom etc?

I have a hood for the Canon EF-S 55-250mm.

When are the correct times to use, and not to use a hood?

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

Re: Lens Hoods

Dave,
    I use them all the time. Some people say it will help protect the lens in case of a accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Smith View Post
    Dave,
    I use them all the time. Some people say it will help protect the lens in case of a accident.
    I can fully understand that Sam. Just wondering if there is a time when they would hinder a picture. Obviously a close indoor shot with flash up would do no favours.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Dave

If you have the right hood for the lens, then you shouldn't experience any problems. But if you haven't got the right hood, then you could get vignetting; i.e. the edges of the hood encroaching into the frame.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Just wondering if there is a time when they would hinder a picture. Obviously a close indoor shot with flash up would do no favours.
    Hi Dave,

In my experience, they only hinder when;
    with a macro lens photographing insects and hence the looming lens appears that much closer and
    if at wide angle (e.g. 18mm on kit lens) and you have to use the on camera flash, the hood may cast a shadow. (as might the lens anyway)

Failing that I use mine at all times, you never know when some off axis light source is going to glance across the lens (e.g. someone elses flash) illuminating the filter and front element (or more) causing a subtle vieling flare you might not notice (or attribute a cause to), just have to deal with in PP as it'll reduce contrast.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Dave

If you have the right hood for the lens, then you shouldn't experience any problems. But if you haven't got the right hood, then you could get vignetting; i.e. the edges of the hood encroaching into the frame.
    Thank you Donald. I do have a correct Canon hood for the lens. Just a general enquiry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Dave,

In my experience, they only hinder when;
    with a macro lens photographing insects and hence the looming lens appears that much closer and
    if at wide angle (e.g. 18mm on kit lens) and you have to use the on camera flash, the hood may cast a shadow. (as might the lens anyway)

Failing that I use mine at all times, you never know when some off axis light source is going to glance across the lens (e.g. someone elses flash) illuminating the filter and front element (or more) causing a subtle vieling flare you might not notice (or attribute a cause to), just have to deal with in PP as it'll reduce contrast.

Cheers,
    Thank you Dave. I was wondering if it would help/worth getting a hood for the kit lens (18-55) or one for the nifty fifty as they say. But reading your post I'll leave the 18mm.

Real Name
    Richard

I use a lens hood all the time because of the protection that the hood gives the front element. This is protection from both flare and from physical damage. However, I never use the onboard flash. The hoods for some lenses will cause an eliptical shadow at the bottom of the frame. I know this is true when you are shooting with the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens and the Canon hood but, don't know about other lens and hood combinations. This is a non-problem for me since I always use a hotshoe flash and most often bounce it...

I buy hoods for every lens that doesn't come with one. The Canon OEM hoods are quite expensive, however, I find no fault with using the Chinese knock-off hoods available on ebay for a fraction of the cost of an OEM hood. Some photographers say that they want to purchase nothing but Canon gear and that is fine with me. But, I have no problems with the Chinese hoods. Some of them do not have flocking inside the hood but, IMO, it is easier to kep a non flocked hood free of dust.

BTW: I have also substituted Chinese center-pinch lens caps for the Canon OEM side-pinch caps on ALL my Canon lenses. The center-pinch caps are easier to remove and replace when a hood is mounted on the lens.

Real Name
    Tobias Weber

I use my lens Hood all the time, mainly for safety reasons, I was taking photos at a Volleyball game a few days ago and got a ball right on the lens, the hood broke but my lens was safe, the only reason I ever remove it is while taking Macro pictures with my 100mm and I want to get extremely close to Insects.

Thanks for the help Toby

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I use a lens hood all the time because of the protection that the hood gives the front element. This is protection from both flare and from physical damage. However, I never use the onboard flash. The hoods for some lenses will cause an eliptical shadow at the bottom of the frame. I know this is true when you are shooting with the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens and the Canon hood but, don't know about other lens and hood combinations. This is a non-problem for me since I always use a hotshoe flash and most often bounce it...

I buy hoods for every lens that doesn't come with one. The Canon OEM hoods are quite expensive, however, I find no fault with using the Chinese knock-off hoods available on ebay for a fraction of the cost of an OEM hood. Some photographers say that they want to purchase nothing but Canon gear and that is fine with me. But, I have no problems with the Chinese hoods. Some of them do not have flocking inside the hood but, IMO, it is easier to kep a non flocked hood free of dust.

BTW: I have also substituted Chinese center-pinch lens caps for the Canon OEM side-pinch caps on ALL my Canon lenses. The center-pinch caps are easier to remove and replace when a hood is mounted on the lens.

Thank you Richard. Would you be able to pint me in the right direction of those caps you talk about. Would like one for a Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom AF Lens.

Cheers,

Dave

Real Name
    Ian

Why not use a hood all the time? Vignetting for a properly specified lens hood is rarely a problem. My 14-24 has it built into the lens and has saved the glass on many occasions. Vital!

Real Name
    James Enriquez

The only time I don't use my lens hood is when my camera is on a tripod and I have some 4" x 6" filters working with it

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Richard:
    Where do you find the Chinese lens hoods/lens caps?

I just took a hard fall while shooting in Yellowstone. The lens hood for my EF 70-300 4-5.6L IS USM was a complete destruct. Luckily the B&W UV filter and the lens came through fine. The Canon lens hood is @$60 at B&H. I will gladly use a cheaper substitute, if I can find one.

Real Name
    Richard

Dave...
    Center pinch lens cap for 55-250mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens... This lens uses a 58mm lens cap; the same size as the filter it uses.
    Here is a 58mm center-pinch cap which would fit. You might be able to get it cheaper by researching Canon 58mm lens caps on eBay but, $2.60 (USD) with free shipping is a pretty inexpensive price.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/58mm-Snap-on...item3cb72d1ed7

Bud,
    I have not had problems with any Chinese knock-off lens hood. I use several, including one for my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens for which Canon did not provide a hood. I was surprised at the price of these hoods for your 70-300 4-5.6L IS but, the OEM model seems like it runs about $60 and B&H doesn't have it in stock at this time...
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313
    Buying on eBay gives you a choice of black or white. I would choose black because it would be less conspicious. However, if you choose white, you would have a lot of photographers asking where you bought your cool looking hood.

Thank you that Richard.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I'm another advocate of using one as often as practicable - it has to come off when using GND and Vari-ND filters though. Often I'll put it on backwards when shooting landscape at night where I've already set an accurate manual focus, and don't want to accidentally bump it in the dark.

On a side note, thay're also excellent for keeping stray drops of rain off the front element filter (well the hoods on the medium to longer lenses anyway).

Thank you Colin. I'll be keeping mine on 99% of the time

For anyone in the UK looking for the snap on caps, I just bought one with free p&p for a whopping 99p lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2608569211...ht_2325wt_1139

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Bud,
    I have not had problems with any Chinese knock-off lens hood. I use several, including one for my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens for which Canon did not provide a hood. I was surprised at the price of these hoods for your 70-300 4-5.6L IS but, the OEM model seems like it runs about $60 and B&H doesn't have it in stock at this time...
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313
    Buying on eBay gives you a choice of black or white. I would choose black because it would be less conspicious. However, if you choose white, you would have a lot of photographers asking where you bought your cool looking hood.
    Thanks Richard. I ordered a black one and saved $50. The white/grey lenses are a little problem when shooting wildlife so I didn't want to add to the challenge.

Real Name
    Richard

By the way... Hoods also protect against dog tongues when man's best friend decides to lick the front element of your lens...
    Lens Hoods

By the way... Hoods also protect against dog tongues when man's best friend decides to lick the front element of your lens...
    Lens Hoods
    hahahahaha....that's great

Anyone in the UK needing a 58mm snap on lens cap I bought mine from here. 99p and arrived in 2 days. Perfect fit.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2608569211...ht_2325wt_1139