Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Still Cameras/Electronics in Europe

Real Name
    Carlos Henrique

Still Cameras/Electronics in Europe

Please forgive me if I'm not in the right place in the forum to make such a question. I'm travelling to Europe and I would like to know what is the best place to look for cameras and electronics in general: Paris or London.

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Still Cameras/Electronics in Europe

I would only know of some good stores in the London area, not in Paris TBH. And language wise London would have my preference. Just google camera store London and you'll get a few good names.

I wouldn't buy my camera in Europe though at this moment and if I had the choice. If you are able to go to New York or if you are willing to order online I would recommend (from personal experience) B&H Photo. They have one of the biggest assortments that I have ever seen and their prices are pretty good.
    They also have worldwide warranties if you like that, which might be useful if you don't want to buy in your own country.

Real Name
    John

There are a few other things to consider also, such as purchasing the proper adapter for re-charging your battery (also, wouldn't the battery's adapter already comply with the country of purchase-and may not comply with Brazil's?) and excise tax on purchases.

Real Name
    Vic

You might also find that there would be problems with the guarentees if you buy equipment in Europe/ UK. I've had companies say that they will not fix problems unless the equipment is returned to a service agent in the country of origin

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    There are a few other things to consider also, such as purchasing the proper adapter for re-charging your battery (also, wouldn't the battery's adapter already comply with the country of purchase-and may not comply with Brazil's?) and excise tax on purchases.
    Many battery chargers are pretty universal in their current requirements. As an example I was able to use my Canon Camera Battery chargers and my Eneloop AA chargers in China and Hong Kong. All I needed were plug adapters which are different for Mainland China and Hong Kong. My shaver and my computer are also pretty universal in their current requirements.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Many battery chargers are pretty universal in their current requirements. As an example I was able to use my Canon Camera Battery chargers and my Eneloop AA chargers in China and Hong Kong. All I needed were plug adapters which are different for Mainland China and Hong Kong. My shaver and my computer are also pretty universal in their current requirements.
    Richard,

I need one of those universal adapters.

Stockholm, Sweden (and sometimes Santiago de Cuba)
    Real Name
    Urban Domeij

Paris is not too bad either. There are several shops. If you google appareils photo paris you'll get a few hits.

Real Name
    Carlos Henrique

Thank you all for the answers! I've passed through Paris but decided to try the luck in London. I'm going there tomorrow. I'm thinking about postponing ny purchase due to the warranty issue and also because i'm still not 100% sure about which brand to stick to... I've been reading a lot of reviews but they're not enough to clarify the Canon/Nikon thing (LOL). As Pentax has no official service in Brazil yet it will be better to think about deciding between the two big brands.

Real Name
    Ian

In London go and see Grays of Westminster (5 mins from Victoria station) but dont mention the C word in there as they are exclusively Nikon. Tiny shop but friendly and there isnt much they cant answer or source.

www.graysofwestminster.com

Or for a selection of everything try Calumet on Drummond Street near Euston station.

On New Oxford Street (underground station : Tottenham Court Road where you will find Jacobs on one side of the street and Jessops opposite. Both big high street camera retailers in the UK

By the way B&H wrote to me earlier this year to advise they now will ship internationally mail order, you might want to check that out, as they will sort the duties etc payable.

Real Name
    Ian

i'm still not 100% sure about which brand to stick to... I've been reading a lot of reviews but they're not enough to clarify the Canon/Nikon thing (LOL).
    I think most folk are still trying to figure that one. I personally dont think it matters that much as they both have their plus and minus points) just dont change your mind as it is expensive to change over!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    I think most folk are still trying to figure that one. I personally dont think it matters that much as they both have their plus and minus points) just dont change your mind as it is expensive to change over!
    I agree with Ian. I think it comes down to which name you prefer having hung around your neck on the camera strap.

At the level that 99.99999% of us operate, we're not going to notice any difference between the systems offered by either manufacturer.

Real Name
    Hero

The only valid reason I can think of when it comes to choosing brands is what brand(s) your friends are using so you can swap gear on a need to use basis.

Real Name
    Carlos Henrique

Thank you all for the answers. I went to Grays of Westminster in London and bought a Nikon D3100 as a gift for my father. I ended up postponing my next camera. The store is really good to buy Nikon cameras and the tax free is a very good deal for the ones from outside EU.

Real Name
    Ian

Glad it worked out Carlos.