Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: old water tower

Real Name
    Paul

old water tower

just a old water tower i found while out and about.it's work in progress so a bit of feed back would be great.
    old water tower

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: old water tower

Hey Paul, I like the shot - lots of detail, and lots to look at. I personally, am a huge fan of croppings to 8x10 though, or even 1:1. To me, the left side of the frame sort of drags out a little, and I presume I would get the same 'feeling' from your photo even if some of the left were edited out. Aside from that, I think it's a great image.

Nice image Paul. I like that the water tower is all the way to the right. I will disagree with Andrew because I think it is nicely balanced. The tower is very dominant and needs all this empty space.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Paul, another thought... as this is a landscape you could change the aspect ratio to 2:1 to emphasize the expanse of sky and fields. Unless the original is wider, however, you would not want to crop top or bottom as that would constrain the water tower. If you have post processing software that can streach the image horizontally just a little, it would provide the 2:1 ratio option.

Real Name
    Paul

Paul, I like it just how it is. The "empty space" is well filled with sky and shrubs. That space gives me the feel that the water tower is the only structure for miles. Well done.

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Being that it is an old water tower, I think it is important to include the body of water that is only obvious in the crop you have posted. Ordinarily, I think some more space on the right side would be in order but from this perspective I think it works great. I wonder what it would have looked like if the perspective was further back from the tower and a to the right as we all see it. That is to say, allowing more room to the right of the tower, perhaps more of the pond or lake in the midground and all of the wonderful clouds and trees in the distance. Can't see what's off camera so that may not have even been an option. Nonetheless, it is striking as is. Well done.

Real Name
    Peter

The composition works for me. I love the openess and a great sky.

Real Name
    John Wright

There's something about the landscape/trees I like - the spacing of them I think -it's a really nice photo.

Real Name
    Paul

cheers for the feed back.i'd like to go back and get different view. but that impossible without trespassing on farm property.;-)
    image straight from camera

old water tower

and a little adjustment
    old water tower

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Tesspassing is never a good idea... well rarely a good idea! I would agree the crop in the B&W edit makes really good sense having seen the original which is has some interesting color and texture. What's not to like about old run down brick, oxidized metal and ivy?? My only final thought might be to clone out the buildings in the lower left side. Again, it is a wonderful image. One I have visited many times.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Paul, I really like the look of the color version but being SOOC, the tower was a little soft so I ran a little sharpening on it. I tried to crop it exactly the way you did the B&W. I hope you don't mind the 'alternative' view.

old water tower

Maybe it's just my old eyes but I had a hard time seeing the pond in the B&W version. In fact, until Scott mentioned it, I didn't even know there was one there!

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Paul and other contributors to this thread.

This thread is interesting because when I look at the different points of view offered they all have merit. I guess there is never any right or wrong. The different images included illustrate how you an get quite different effects with different crops and also between colour and B&W. For this particular image, there is no particular variation that is a clear cut winner for me. They all look good. However if I had to choose, I think my preference would be another variation again - the original image with some processing as per that offered by Frank.
    viz

old water tower

Cheers Dave