Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sunset at the lake

Real Name
    Bobo

Sunset at the lake

First attempts at long exposure.
    Right at the bottom I know but there is no other way then up, right?

As always, comments, suggestions, praise, taunts, etc welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks.

Sunset at the lake

Sunset at the lake

Sunset at the lake

Tried the best with the limited knowledge available in that little coconut called my brain. This guy was less then impressed!
    Sunset at the lake

Real Name
    John

Re: Sunset at the lake

Nice images, but with long exposures you have to worry about moving objects, such as the clouds, although with experimentation you might get something rather unique.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks John.

Yes was hoping for more but it was a pretty clean sky as you can see. Treeline was far off and nothing in the general vicinity of much interest, not to mention a bleh sunset- so all that there was to work with were the floats (and the geese in the distance).

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Thanks John.

Yes was hoping for more but it was a pretty clean sky as you can see. Treeline was far off and nothing in the general vicinity of much interest, not to mention a bleh sunset- so all that there was to work with were the floats (and the geese in the distance).
    Ah, but Bobo, you now have an excellent place to go when you see a spectaculay sunset forming up!

Real Name
    Bobo

Very true Frank, very true.

Real Name
    Paul

Bobo, I have faced the same thing for the last couple months. Never thought I would complain about a clear sky but....I feel your pain. The colors are nice though and as mentioned you have a possible good spot. Hit it a few times and I bet you work out a great shot with that dock.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Paul.

Someone once told me that the best sunsets are when bad weather is predicted for the next day.

If that is the case, will just wait for a really cloudy day and retry. Not sure what can be done with just 3 docks and with nothing else in the immediate area of much appeal.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Someone once told me that the best sunsets are when bad weather is predicted for the next day.
    Hi Bobo, it depends upon the prevailing winds. The best sunrises/sunsets occur when the sun is just below the horizon and illuminating the bottoms of the clouds just above the horizon.

If the winds normally blow West to East in your area, and bad weather is predicted for the following day that will CLEAR the horizon in the West by DUSK, then you have a good shot at a great sunset. If the weather is moving overhead toward the East at dawn, then this would usually work for a sunrise as the incoming weather could put the clouds just above the horizon as the sun is rising in the EAST.

On the other hand, if in the afternoon it looks like you have the conditions for a good sunset, turn around and face East. You might just be able to catch a rainbow!

As the old sailor's saying goes:

Red sky in morning, sailor take warning. (Stormy weather is coming.)
    Red sky at night, sailor's delight. (Stormy weather is leaving.)

For planning to photograph a sunset/sunrise, it's just easier to look at the weather in the late afternoon and determine that it is in the process of clearing. I've had decent luck with sunsets but not sunrises. Something about having to get out of bed real early, I suspect!

Real Name
    Mike

Nice series Bobo..Sunset at the lake

I like the top one, as it has a bit of that "dreamy" feel to it. I'm wondering what your point of
    focus was in that one, as the skyline seems to be just a big OOF.

Great shot of the pooch, too..he's having a good time..

Mike

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Frank - very useful info for us city guys. I have copied it to the phone for instant referral

Mike - Focus could be on the left of the 2 poles at the front of the pier but cannot remember now. It was difficult to focus so it could be anything in the general vicinity to gave a little contrast for the AF. After that it was switched to MF.

I have now a list of things to do for next time and hopefully will get it right then. Fingers crossed!

Pooch - yes he and his French poodle friend had taken over the short stretch of sand and were having a real good time.
    Last edited by Bobobird; 18th September 2011 at 04:26 AM.

Real Name
    Mark

You have the classic situation here. You have exposed for the sky, leaving the foreground underexposed. You either need a GND filter to equalize the foreground and background exposures or take a bracket of exposures and then combine them as layers in PS. You can then use a mask and brush to bring out the foreground detail or the gradient tool to give you an HDR effect.

With a GND on the camera, expose for the foreground and then let the GND "darken" the brighter sky to stop it becoming overexposed. The ideal time for evening or dawn photography is before sunrise or after sunset when the sky and foreground measure equal exposure on your light meter. It lasts for about 10 to 20 minutes and photos taken during this period often give you magnificent skies.
    Last edited by Markvetnz; 18th September 2011 at 05:20 AM.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Mark. Excellent suggestions there.

Dont have a GND only a screw-on 2-8 vari-ND and have never used it (yet). Would a CPL work instead?

Would just like to mention how awesome everyone here is - I have learned to look at the weather, focusing issues, need for clouds, and use of filters. None of which ever crossed my mind that day. My deepest felt gratitude to all.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Very true Frank, very true.
    ... although the only thing I'd suggest here is that (for me anyway), I don't like things 'sticking up into' the sky, especially the unphotogenic poles we have here, so I'd try to avoid those if possible.

Under the circumstances, nothing to be ashamed of Bobo - actually, I fib - those bright white distracting 'signatures' shouldn't be there either!
    (well, you did say "taunts" were welcome too)

The dog is fine, but I'd crop 20% from the right hand side.

Cheers,

Real Name
    John Wright

Thanks Mark. Excellent suggestions there.

Dont have a GND only a screw-on 2-8 vari-ND and have never used it (yet). Would a CPL work instead?

Would just like to mention how awesome everyone here is - I have learned to look at the weather, focusing issues, need for clouds, and use of filters. None of which ever crossed my mind that day. My deepest felt gratitude to all.
    Bobo-This issue of grads regularly comes up on here. Have a read of CiC's tutorial and then off you go and buy a couple. https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...ty-filters.htm

As I've mentioned in Debbie's thread just now the Cokin P Series is inexpensive and does a good job. Just pack a few grades - I use my P121 (2-stop) most of all.

Real Name
    Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    ... although the only thing I'd suggest here is that (for me anyway), I don't like things 'sticking up into' the sky, especially the unphotogenic poles we have here, so I'd try to avoid those if possible.

Under the circumstances, nothing to be ashamed of Bobo - actually, I fib - those bright white distracting 'signatures' shouldn't be there either!
    (well, you did say "taunts" were welcome too)

The dog is fine, but I'd crop 20% from the right hand side.

Cheers,
    Oh the bleeding sigs - that is Picasa's fault but then if the siggie field had not been set then....

Doggie - I see how off-centering him would work. Thanks.

Poles - nothing short of cloning out will fix that. Those are used by canoeists for temporary mooring. Almost impossible to avoid unless going long or very very low.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks John for the additional info. Going there right away.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

~ that is Picasa's fault but then if the siggie field had not been set then...
    So how come the doggie shot got a different one?
    If that had been used on the others, well it would have been better, no, wait; less bad

Real Name
    Bobo

The software is "smart".